Unicode in Photoshop CS3 – is it possible ?

HM
Posted By
Henrik_Meier
Aug 17, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi. How can i use unicode characters within a Photoshop CS3 text layer? An example: In Word, i can type
261A
followed by
[Alt-key] C
then i see an unicode character in Word (the „left-pointing hand“).

This does not work in Photoshop. I also cannot copy-paste the unicode character from Word to Photoshop.

What i can do of course:
– do a screenshot of the character
– „print“ the character to PDF and import it hi-res to Photoshop

But is it not possible to type in unicode directly. On the net, i didn’t find a compact solution.

Is there a way to insert unicode smoothly to a PS text layer?

Btw, I’d like unicode not so much for foreign languages, more for symbols (I know there are symbol font sets like Dingbats that don’t require unicode). To look up unicode, i use decodeunicode.org and unicode.org. What else do you recommend to find interesting unicode symbols, web sites or freeware (for Windows)?

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Aug 17, 2008
In Photoshop…Use Zapf Dingbats, or whichever font you need that contains the extended character you want to display. It’s just the quickest and easiest way to get them into a Photoshop layout.

Using the Glyph Palette (panel) will make your choices handy.

Online, use unicode or character entities coding.
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Aug 18, 2008
I don’t have CS3, only CS2, but try this:

To copy/paste from Word to Photoshop, you need to have a font selected that contains the character you want, in the case you cite, MS Mincho or MS Gothic.

You can also use the Windows Character Map. Set the font to MS Gothic, set the Character Set to Unicode, and enter the Unicode value in the "Go to Unitcode" box.

Click Select, then Copy.

Again, select MS Gothic in Photoshop, and paste.
HM
Henrik_Meier
Aug 18, 2008
Hi, thanks for your suggestions. John, i will sure try this one. Sounds good.
P
Phosphor
Aug 18, 2008
No need to sully the process with Word!

XD

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections