Hey guys, just bought a new pc:

Asus AM3
AMD X2 6400+
2x Kingston 512MB 533
2x Corsair 1GB 533
XFX GF 8800GT
Thermaltake Purepower 2.0 – 600W
Running Photoshop CS3 on Windows XP Pro SP2

It is a very fast machine, but when I’m using Photoshop CS3, it freezes, like a slow CPU… It runs fast for heavy operations, like applying filters, but freezes with very simple operations, like creating a new blank layer… when I press CTRL+L for levels, it takes a long time to appear the levels window…
I tried to change the "scratch disk" options… and it still freezes…

Any help?
Thanks for now!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
BILL_HUNT
Jul 21, 2008
Pedro,

What is the I/O on your system: HDDs (how many and how they are configured), the connection (SATA II, or ATA)? This might give us a clue.

I also see you have mixed RAM chips. Have you had any problems with other programs? How much RAM does PS show? What is your Cache State and RAM usage for PS? What is your Windows Virtual Memory set to?

Even on some ancient systems, Ctrl-l and New Layer are almost instantaneous, and none is close to your system, except maybe the I/O.

Hunt
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 22, 2008
what does freezes mean? whole system locks up requiring power off? or just end task on photoshop required.

try turning off font preview in the preferences.
PN
Pedro_Nakamura
Jul 22, 2008
Hey Bill, thanks for help!
So… I got 3 HDDs:
1 80GB 7200RPM ATA (C: 80GB)
2 250GB 7200RPM SATA (D: 100GB / E: 150GB)
3 120GB 7200RPM ATA (F: 120GB)

And about the memories, they’re running fine with Illustrator, Corel, InDesign etc… Only Photoshop is running slow.
And there is a weird thing, PS only show 1711MB of available RAM. I set up 1280MB for PS. Cache: 8 levels, History States: 256 Scratch disks on D: (SATA = faster)…
I used to set up the same config on my old PC (3200+,1GB RAM).
PN
Pedro_Nakamura
Jul 22, 2008
No no, it doesn’t require a restart/power off or even end task… Try to convert a video, and open a hi-resolution image in Photoshop, and then you’ll have a ideia of what is happening to me.

Thank you Dave!
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 22, 2008
Try to convert a video, and open a hi-resolution image in Photoshop, and then you’ll have a ideia of what is happening to me.

my core2duo w/2 gig ram is running fine.

some things to try:
did you turn off font preview like i asked?

update video drivers?

make sure you have a local printer defined as default?

all those can lead to slowdowns on some systems.

have you tried resetting the preferences (per the instructions in the faq)?

have you updated quicktime to the latest version? (ps uses apple quicktime to work with video).

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections