Posted By
Peter_Kovalski
Jul 19, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,
my friend (not very good with computers) asked me to fix his Photoshop 8, because "it just stopped working one day". When I try to run it, I see splash screen, initializing photoshop, something about TWAIN, and then:

Could not initialize Photoshop, because the file name was not valid

followed by crashing the Photoshop. I tried reinstalling Photoshop, resetting user preferences, even deleting all user settings from Documents and Settings folder, but nothing – I keep getting this error. I tried plugging in his camera, usb flash disks, because I thought Photoshop may created scratch file or something in there – but it didnt work.

So I decided to install him my copy of Photoshop CS3, just to make sure its some bug in Photoshop 8, but I didnt believe my eyes – after installing, im getting the exact error again.

And now Im completely lost – I was unable to google the error message, looks like Im the first person ever who happened to see it.

His computer is about two years old, 2 GHz cpu, 512 MB RAM, some decent video card, 100 GB space left on disks, operating system is Win XP SP2.

I would really appreciate any help, thank you in advance

Peter

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Jul 19, 2008
add a tilde(~) in front of the TWAIN.plugin
PK
Peter_Kovalski
Jul 19, 2008
Hello,
do you mean file Twain_32.8BA located in Plug-Ins/ ?

I was unable to find any other TWAIN file.
PK
Peter_Kovalski
Jul 19, 2008
I renamed the TWAIN file (and I also tried to rename whole Plug-Ins folder), but unfortunately, It still doesnt work.

Splash screen now dies on "Measuring memory"

Any other advices please?
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 19, 2008
uninstall the scanner software would be my next step.
PK
Peter_Kovalski
Jul 19, 2008
There was never a printer/scanner installed on that PC.
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 20, 2008
Camera software?
PK
Peter_Kovalski
Jul 20, 2008
He got new camera on Christmas, didnt install any additional software since then – and Photoshop worked without problems.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 20, 2008
could be something corrupted. i’d remove it just to remove it from the equation. how about recent windows updates?

of course you’ve restarted the machine along the way, right? 🙂
PK
Peter_Kovalski
Jul 20, 2008
Alright, I will try removing it. Windows Update is disabled on that machine.

Yes, many times.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 20, 2008
Yes, many times.

🙂 never hurts to ask!

also have you tried creating a new user with admin rights to see if it’s an id issue? (sorry, there’s several similar theads going on and i sometimes forget what i’ve read where.) there was just a guy yesterday that solved a similar problem by creating a new id. we could never tell what the problem was with the old one…
PK
Peter_Kovalski
Jul 20, 2008
Yes, I tried this too.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 21, 2008
try reinstall to a new location? (running low on ideas here…)
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jul 21, 2008
Perhaps temporarily disable security software?

What are other factors, A/V, TweakUI, Windows Blinds?

And Dave, you know more about this: could PS be launched with a command line parameter that we don’t know of?

Is the HDD still healthy? run a defrag/check.

Rob
PK
Peter_Kovalski
Jul 21, 2008
I dont have access to that PC right now.

There are no Windows Blinds or TweakUI or StyleXP or anything – just basic install of Wn XP SP2. Im not sure, but I dont think any security software is installed on that machine, but I will check that.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 21, 2008
virus/spyware?
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 21, 2008
And Dave, you know more about this: could PS be launched with a command line parameter that we don’t know of?

not that i’ve heard of…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections