Why is the single channel view so much brighter?

MF
Posted By
Matthew_Franklin
Jul 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve got an RGB image, but each pixel actually has identical R, G, and B values– the image is just varying degrees of grey. (It’s not actually a greyscale image, long story. :P)

If I click on the single channel view, it’s much brighter than the RGB combined view. Each channel appears identical to each other channel, but they’re all considerably brigher than the combined RGB image.

Do you know what adjustment is being performed?

(That’s the short question; elaboration follows.)

Photoshop is aware of this adjustment, and will replicate it if you copy the RGB image and paste it into a single channel of a new image. For example, I can copy the entire image, create a new image, and then paste into just the red channel of the image. Visually, the combined RGB view of the source image and the single channel view of the dest image will look identical.

How was this achieved? Photoshop darkened all of the values: a pixel that was 24, 24, 24 in the source image is now 7 in the new red channel.

I haven’t been able to replicate the conversion. Visually, it looks a lot like a gamma adjustment, and values in the middle range roughly approximate an adjustment using a gamma of 1.266 (which seems odd, so is likely not what’s occurring). Values in the lower range, however, are darkened further– a gamma adjustment of 1.266 will leave them too bright.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

PF
Peter_Figen
Jul 18, 2008
Photoshop’s channel viewing on screen is governed by the grayscale profile you have loaded. Changing that profile will change how those channels are viewed. If your grayscale profile as loaded in Color Settings has the same gamma as your RGB working space, the individual channels should view the same as the composite.
MF
Matthew_Franklin
Jul 18, 2008
It seems to preserve identical results if I select "sGray". Which, I suppose, makes sense given that my RGB working space is sRGB. 🙂 Thanks a ton– I’ve been puzzling over this for a bit.
PF
Peter_Figen
Jul 18, 2008
That would make sense as the gamma of sRGB is really a modified 2.2 and not exactly the same as the 2.2 in other working spaces. The same phenomenon has bugged me too and if you’re making any channel adjustments based on what they look like, this can make a huge difference. You have to remember to change the Gray space back and forth when you need to for other projects. Just one more thing to keep track of.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections