RG
Posted By
Ross_G_Nixon
Jul 16, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am getting errors (same as at top of thread, "invalid JPEG marker") saving a TIF as a JPEG, and then attempting to reopen the JPEG.

It seems to mostly work OK the first time, but if I then reopen the same TIF and save as a JPEG again – that JPEG will usually be corrupted. If I close Elements 2 each time, before opening a TIF and saving another JPEG, there is no problem.

I tried opening the corrupt JPEG with several other programs, and it definitely is corrupted.

This error did not occur several months ago as far as I am aware. We have tried this on all 4 of our computers. I am thinking that a Windows Update may be causing the problem. I tried using System Restore to go back to April 17th, but after 45 mins it announced that it couldn’t restore, so I am reluctant to try another date.)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Jul 16, 2008
Just so you know, Ross, this isn’t the forum for PS Elements. It’s the forum for the full versions of Photoshop.

That’s not to say that the problem isn’t related to the same thing happening with full Photoshop, just that for future problems related to PS Elements, you may want to post to the forum dedicated to it.

Find the PS Elements Forums here:
<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.eeb4f8b/>
I
ID._Awe
Jul 16, 2008
And you have an older version of Elements, I think it is now 5 or 6.
DH
Dewey_Honeycutt
Jul 17, 2008
Update:

I now have to open photoshop as an administrator in vista or else i get the same error with all files…

"Could not complete your request because an unknown or invalid (file type) marker type is found."
DH
Dewey_Honeycutt
Jul 17, 2008
that includes tiff jpeg gif etc
DH
Dewey_Honeycutt
Jul 18, 2008
don’t believe that it’s vista, just sp1 because it started happening shortly after i installed sp1
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 18, 2008
if you create a new user and use that can you work with the files? the user id might have become corrupt somehow.
DH
Dewey_Honeycutt
Jul 18, 2008
no, tried that. didnt work
B
BrianBeck
Jul 29, 2008
I have had nothing but trouble with CS3. I had to revert to CS2 Illustrator because it refused to install. The installer is dreadful.

Now out of the blue, in a production environment, this blasted Photoshop CS3 jpeg marker error. This is costing me $000s in lost time.

ADOBE – wake up and fix this. NO one should have to use new accounts or reformat their drive for your broken software.
JT
John_T_Smith
Jul 29, 2008
ADOBE – wake up and fix this

Since this is a USER TO USER forum, not Adobe support, and as the only way another user could reply is if they had that EXACT problem and also had a solution, you may need to contact Adobe for help

In the US – Adobe General support 800-833-6687

Or, to tell Adobe something go to
<http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections