Posted By
Matty_Ryan
Jul 14, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello

I was wondering if someone could help me with something that is really starting to annoy me.

When I’m moving objects in Photoshop, I find that they sometimes "jump" across pixels when I’m moving them.

For example, lets say I’ve got an image and I’ve zoomed in so that each pixel is shown as a large square. The rightmost edge of the image is on column 1 (bear with me).

Each column is 1 pixel wide. So it would look like 1 2 3 etc.

The rightmost pixel of my image is on column 1, and I want to move it to the right so that it is lined up on column 2.

I move my image to the right, but it doesn’t land on column 2 at all and skips it, to end up on column 3. So I move it left and it again jumps column 2 and ends up back on column 1.

I hope this makes sense.

I’ve experienced this on Photoshop 7 and CS2, on 3 different computers. I used to experience something like this in Microsoft WORD during IT classes at school years ago. We had to go into a menu and uncheck something to do with grids, but I can’t remember exactly what to do, and I can’t find anything that looks familiar in the Photoshop menus.

I really hope this makes sense to someone, because it gets incredibly annoying when I’m trying to be precise.

Sometimes zooming in to 400/500% stops it, and everything moves smoothly, but it doesn’t work all the time.

It doesn’t always "jump" one pixel either. Sometimes the "jump" can be 3 or 4 pixels wide.

I would very much appreciate any help with this. Its driving me mad.

Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
Don_McCahill
Jul 14, 2008
I think this is done because the object you are moving has antialiasing turned on. See if you can try with it turned off.
MR
Matty_Ryan
Jul 15, 2008
Thanks for the reply. 🙂

I’ve just looked through all the menus, trying to find something about anti-aliasing, and I found my problem.

It was View > Snap to.

I set it to None and I have no trouble now. I’m almost certain thats the name of the menu I went to in Microsoft WORD. Can’t believe I didn’t see that before.

So thanks for the advice. I wouldn’t have fixed this without you. 🙂

Matty

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections