SS
Posted By
steve sicherman
Jul 5, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This issue has existed for at *least* the last 4 versions of Photoshop. What gives? I’ve experienced this on fresh installs on completely different hardware setups and software combinations. I just went from a homebuilt XP box running CS2 to Vista64 on a MacPro running CS3, the bug came along for the ride. It is very unlikely this bug is tied to any specific hardware or software (other than Windows and PS itself).

Here’s a recap of the bug- for whatever reason PS will stop pasting from the Windows clipboard and the only way to fix the problem is to restart PS. Purging the PS clipboard, modifying the amount of memory PS uses, playing with the amount of ram in your computer, applying the registry hacks floating around online- none of these fix the problem. Once the bug rears its head the only way to fix it is to restart PS (however copying and pasting from within PS will continue to work).

As long as you’re copying and pasting from within PS, everything is fine, that never stops working. But as soon as you start pasting from the Windows clipboard, eventually PS will just stop pasting. The data in the Windows clipboard will be fine, you can paste into other programs, just not PS.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

GD
george_dingwall
Jul 5, 2008
I’ve used Photoshop since Version 3, and I have never experienced this problem.
I
ID._Awe
Jul 5, 2008
You’re alone on this one, no problem here.
BL
Bob Levine
Jul 5, 2008
Well, he’s certainly not alone as I’ve experienced it from time to time but it’s not an earth shaking problem to me and doesn’t happen very often at all.

For that matter, I don’t even remember the last time it did.

Bob
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 5, 2008
It was happening to me frequently enough to push me into getting a screen capture utility.
BL
Bob Levine
Jul 5, 2008
The Vista snipping tool is great for that. I’ll use Corel Capture on occasion, too.

Bob
I
ID._Awe
Jul 5, 2008
I second the Vista Snipping Tool, I have it on my desktop.
SS
steve sicherman
Jul 5, 2008
I’ve used Photoshop since Version 3, and I have never experienced this problem.

How often do you take large screen captures? I find taking large region captures with 3rd party screen capture tools seems to nudge the bug into appearing.
SS
steve sicherman
Jul 5, 2008

Not quite-
<http://www.google.com/search?q=photoshop%20clipboard%20bug>
DM
Don_McCahill
Jul 5, 2008
This issue has existed for at *least* the last 4 versions of Photoshop.

I’ve seen it occasionally too. But how do you know it is a Photoshop bug. The clipboard is a part of the OS. Perhaps the problem is with Microsoft, who probably don’t care if their OS does not work nicely with PS.
SS
steve sicherman
Jul 5, 2008
I’ve seen it occasionally too. But how do you know it is a Photoshop bug. The clipboard is a part of the OS. Perhaps the problem is with Microsoft, who probably don’t care if their OS does not work nicely with PS.

Because you can continue to paste into any other program. Only PS will discontinue pasting.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 5, 2008
It would probably say something if they did fix it. but they probably wont. that probably says something too.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jul 6, 2008
This bug was sporadic for me, but it happened often enough that I got a screen-capture utility.
N
nospam
Jul 6, 2008
"steve sicherman" wrote in message

Not quite-
<http://www.google.com/search?q=photoshop%20clipboard%20bug>

Have you ever looked into Microsoft’s documentation on Windows’ clipboard? Try it sometime if you want a real lesson in futility and frustration. I’m not even sure THEY know how Windows determines memory limits and usage for its clipboard, and if they do know they’re sure as hell not explaining it to anyone.
JM
J_McCarthy
Jul 16, 2008
Even if it’s not a bug in Photoshop per se, I still think Adobe should address this incredibly irritating problem. Photoshop is the only application I encounter the problem with.

I also experience it on a regular basis, but I don’t have any leads about what triggers it or how to reproduce it. It sure happens often enough though, without doing anything special to bring it on. Most of the time I’m trying to take a screenshot of a web page when it happens.

I’ve also had the problem on multiple systems. It’s definitely not related to dual monitors because I’ve always had the problem on single monitor setups.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections