FF
Posted By
Fred Finisterre
Jun 28, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a rectangular image. I want to fade it out gradually from the centre as you move to the left – ideally to transparent.

Can anyone tell me how to do this with CS3?

Thanks,

Fred.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Jun 28, 2008
"Fred Finisterre" wrote in message
I have a rectangular image. I want to fade it out gradually from the centre as you move to the left – ideally to transparent.

Can anyone tell me how to do this with CS3?

Thanks,
Fred.
Sounds like you need a gradient layer mask.
To do this on o e layer only, the background, it needs to be unlocked. Simple, just alt+ click on the word "background" in the layers pallette, it will then change to layer 0.

At the bottom of the layers pallette are some icons, the third one from the left, a rectangle with a circle in it, is the layer mask icon. Click on this to add a layer mask to the layer.
You will see a white thumbnaill added along side your original image thumbnail in the layers pallette.
Click on this to "activate" it, it is this mask you will be working on. Hit D on the keyboard to set your back/foreground colours to black and white.
The gradient tool (G on the keyboard) is on a flyout under the paintbucket tool.
It should be set to foreground to background by default in the gradient picker, the second icon from left on the options bar, a long one showing black fading to white. If not the down pointing arrow at left opens the gradient picker.
Then, with your mask icon still active, just click and drag from an edge on you image to obtain the effect you want.
This method does not affect the original pixels in any way, totally non destructive, if you want to get back to your original just delete the mask or just fill it with white.
TWK
FF
Fred Finisterre
Jun 28, 2008
"Toobi-Won Kenobi" <Toobi-won > wrote in message

Thanks TWK. That worked a treat.

Fred.
TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Jun 29, 2008
"Fred Finisterre" wrote in message
"Toobi-Won Kenobi" <Toobi-won > wrote in message

Thanks TWK. That worked a treat.

Fred.
More than welcome, thanks for the feedback.

TWK

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections