C
Posted By
chas._smiley
May 15, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can change the default cusor in XP Pro but it doesn’t carry over to PS. The preferences/display&cursors tab is limited.

What I need is a heavier cursor or full cross hairs. I’m running 1920 x 1200 on a 22 inch Sony LCD screen. With aging eyes it’s too difficult to pick up the tiny cross cursor on various photo backgrounds.

Any ideas?

Chas.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
May 15, 2008
The best idea is to get a specialized set of prescription glasses for computer work. NOT bifocals, not progressive lenses…but full-frame lenses to be used only for computer work.

Lots of us here are going through the same problem; I need a new prescription myself.
M
MisterMax
May 15, 2008
wrote:
I can change the default cusor in XP Pro but it doesn’t carry over to PS. The preferences/display&cursors tab is limited.

What I need is a heavier cursor or full cross hairs. I’m running 1920 x 1200 on a 22 inch Sony LCD screen. With aging eyes it’s too difficult to pick up the tiny cross cursor on various photo backgrounds.

Any ideas?

Chas.
My aging eyes are helped by the space bar. I hold it and the cursor turns into a more-visible hand. When I release the space bar, the hand changes back to a cursor.

– Max

Tips for Healthy Brain Aging from the Alzheimer’s Disease Center at Penn – – * Cognitively stimulating activities – Read, do crossword puzzles, play cards or a board game every day.
* Education – Take a class or attend lectures. Advise the next generation to stay in school.
* Exercise – Talk to your doctor about designing an exercise program, even as simple as walking, geared just for you. Individual sessions should be at least 30 minutes long.
* Avoid head injury – Always buckle your seatbelt. Wear a helmet when biking.
* Good nutrition – Eat a heart-healthy diet; it may benefit your brain as well.
* Cholesterol and blood pressure – Maintain your cholesterol and blood pressure within normal limits.
C
chas._smiley
May 15, 2008
What I don’t understand is how Adobe still only seems to offer a single-pixel wide set of tool cursors. That was fine back when most people had 640 x 480 screens or with $ and luck 800 x 600.

When are they going to get with it??? Pixels are much finer on modern displays.
DM
dave_milbut
May 15, 2008
turn on "Show location of pointer when I press Crtl key" in your mouse settings. that will hilight where you’re at without messing you up. or press spacebar and the cursor will turn into a hand for a sec.
C
chas._smiley
May 16, 2008
Hey Dave, Thanks a bunch!

That’s pretty nice. Is that even mentioned in the manual? If so, I didn’t notice it.

Chas.
DM
dave_milbut
May 16, 2008
what the hand thing? it is, but not under "find the cursor". 😉 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
May 16, 2008
personally i use the crtl thing. i turn on the "finder" in the mouse options and there’s the added bonus that hitting crtl when in most modes in photoshop temporarily turns the cross hair or brush cursor into an arrow.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections