Can’t open animated GIF, even with secret trick (psd cs3)

CS
Posted By
Christian_Skriver_Kragegaard
May 3, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
I know a lot of people have had trouble with opening animated .gifs in photoshop cs3. I had that problem until I learned the little "trick" you could do (type *.* in "import video frames to layers") and then simply open the gif. This has worked one my computer for some time, but then all of a sudden it stopped working. I thought it was odd and then I formatted my computer and installed a few windows updates and then installed adobe photoshop cs3 and then quicktime. But it still won’t open GIF as it used to do. And it’s very odd, as my laptop can do it (and it has just been newly reformatted too). I know Adobe’s own solution, which is to use fireworks, but I find it to be a crappy program, so I’m not going to use that. I want to be able to import GIFs into photoshop as I used to :/

Hope someone has encountered this problem too. I know a lot of people had been able to use the trick, but I havn’t been able to find anyone who has the crash problem.

Know of this?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CY
curt_young
May 3, 2008
Here is another "secret trick" that works for me. Go to File>Script>Load Files into Stack. Then in animation palette choose "Make Frames from Layers".
S
Support
May 4, 2008
Christian,
Try typing file name (e.g. "myimage.gif") instead of *.*
Curt Young -> That’s not the case here. I’m trying to open an already made animated .gif, not creating one from all the frames.

Andrei Doubroski -> Tried, but it made no difference. Allthough I noted that it took a longer time before it crashed this time.

Here’s a picture of the error it gives:
<http://i25.tinypic.com/6gly1g.jpg>

edit: I’ve noticed it gives me different offsets for each crash (if that helps). I’ve also tried photoshop 10.1, but didn’t help.
May 4, 2008
sounds like you might have a conflict with QuickTime, seeing as the error is in MODNAME quicktime.qts

first, try resetting the PS prefs. hold CTRL+ALT+SHIFT on launch and then click Yes when prompted. if you have any preferences that you would prefer not to reset, close PS, move the preference files, then launch PS to create new ones. if it’s not the problem, you can put them back later. Use the info in kb401600 if you don’t know where the preference files are.

<http://www.adobe.com/go/kb401600>

if resetting the prefs doesn’t fix it, make sure you have the latest version of QuickTime installed (7.4.5) and that it can launch without problems. if you have problems using QT, let us know or post on Apple discussions to find a solution.

if you do have the latest version and the problem recently started, it may be that Apple broke something that PS uses in a recent update. uninstall the version you have, delete /program files/quicktime/ folder if it still exists, reboot, download an older version (apple has archived installers; search for "download quicktime 7.3.1 windows" OR "download quicktime 7.1.6 windows" on google to find it), then install it and reboot before trying PS.
* sigh* nope, that didn’t work either. I’m wondering if maybe K-lite codec pack has something to do with it, allthough I’ve got it on my laptop.. (where it works)
UPDATE

really you’ve got to be f…… kidding me.. Yesterday I installed Audacity, because I had to work on some sounds for my movie.. And then I noticed that Premiere wasn’t acting wierd anymore (it did if it had been minimized). So I thought "Hey, would be funny if Photoshop also worked"……. and it did..

This _might_ not be the solution afterall however… It might also be of all the different microsoft updates I installed yesterday, which were some minor fix for .NET 1.0

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections