Opinions please: History-Actions: detailed/Concise Fiasco.

SR
Posted By
scott_rokinlik
May 3, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is the deal with simply trying to have a saved repeatable (editable maybe even?) record of everything that was done to a file?

I never understood why the history palette doesn’t just have a save option. I can’t even figure out what practical function the "snapshot" feature has.

So I figured out how to record the history in the metadata of a file. The problem is when trying many things and then selecting previous history state, the metadata does not purge the redundant and now NON-existant actions done to the file. Instead what is recorded is the action that was done, then an indication that you "selected previous history state".

It is incredably difficult to parse through the metadata of a file trying to figure out what has and hasnt been done to a file because all of the actions/settings that are no longer part of the sequence of events that contributed to the current state of the file are still in there.

So I figured out that you can record the history without the redundant and un-done actions that were tried on the file by selecting "concise" in the option dialogue for the history options. The problem then is it doesn’t record the actual settings of each action!

What gives? So then I figured out that if you record a set of actions using the actions palette for a certain file, you will have a record of everything done to the file. It still reflects redundant and un-done actions. These can be deleted however, just make sure you delete the action AND the "selected previous history state"! These aren’t bound to each other? I would think if you deleted an action, it’s corresponding "undo" command would get deleted also.

But the thing that makes using the actions palette as a method of recording what has been done to a file really cumbersome is that each set of actions is not intrinsically bound to that specific file. So I suppose what one would have to do is open a new file. Create a new set of actions. Hit record and leave it on right up until you save the file. Stop recording. Delete all the redundant actions/"select previous history states". Save the set of actions as the same name as the file. Save the file. And every time you want to work on that file again, open the original unedited file. Open the saved corresponding actions. Run the actions on the file. Hit record again to append any new actions done to the file while working on it again. And repeat. (Forget about saving every few minutes)

There are three different methods for accomplishing the task of keeping track of what has been done to a file, and none of them really work. each method has elements that work to complete the task, but none do on their own. Combine them already.

I used to write down everything in annotations, copying and pasting into these is a hassle however becuase for some reason the buffer copies everything twice into photoshop annotations.

Strategically the solution is really simple:

When working on a file, each action gets recorded.
The settings for each action are recorded.
The actions that get undone are not reflected in the history. Every time you close a file, that set of actions are saved and bound to the file. And when you open the file the history opens with the same actions that were saved.

All one has to do to know what was done with the file is browse the history. The concept of using the "action palette" is already included in this method. Just make a "load history" function which will prompt. "load from which file?" You load a file’s corresponding history and you can run it on the original file, or any other file.

How many times have you been looking at a file that had a lot of things done to it and wish you could just go back and undo/alter just one of the actions in the sequence? This would be simple. Load the unedited file. Load the history from the edited file. Uncheck the action you don’t want, (or change the settings of that action) and run it on the unedited file, or any file.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
John Joslin
May 3, 2008
A lot of people won’t bother to read such a long and rambling post – you can help yourself by trying to ask questions in a concise manner.

From what I could deduce, you haven’t explored saving the History Log as a text file.

The ability to save the History Palette would be a feature request but its implementation would be problematic.
SR
scott_rokinlik
May 3, 2008
John, thanks for the helpful advice. The post may have been long, but I feel the designation of "rambling" is subjective. I thought I dissected the issue quite succintly. I suppose a small percentage of the words were dedicated purely to ranting, but I am an artist, so go figure.

Regarding saving as a text file, you are correct, I have not tried it. This however is because photoshop gives me the option of saving the history in the file itself which seems like a far superior method.

I am assuming then, that what you are saying is that the issues I raised such as actions which have been un-done still being reflected in the history are rectified when using this option.

If this is true, I will use the seperate text file. If all the text file option does is record the information in the same way it is recorded in the metadata when set on "detailed", then saving the history seperately from the file is just one more complication beyond the existing complications.

I will try it now and hopefully the text file option will be a work around.

-Scott.
JJ
John Joslin
May 3, 2008
You can’t use the History Log to go back in time and undo things – only the active History Palette can do that and that disappears when the file is closed. I can see what you want and I repeat, it is not a simple thing to implement.

You are an artist – paint over it like Leonardo did!

(Or make regular saves of key stages under different names.)
SR
scott_rokinlik
May 3, 2008
John, I tried the text file option. As I suspected it just copied the same information that already wasn’t working into a text file instead of the metadata.

So in addition to the added bonus that the information is no longer saved with each file, the text file option mixes all of the histories from all files into one large file.

This is absolutely absurd, and conjures up a bit of my previous ranting mood. I think Photoshop is probably the best software ever written, but I am still amazed at how many functions don’t serve their function and how many downright unusable features are included in the interface.

BTW. On what grounds did you conclude that the implementation of saving the history palette would be problematic? Is this speculation? It is essentially what an action does.

-Scott.
J
johntolliday
May 4, 2008
G’day Scott

The snapshot feature is used to take a snapshot at any given time.

If the history brush is then used, set to the particular snapshot you want to use, it will paint back the state of the image at the time the snapshot was taken wherever you paint with the brush.

Very useful for restorations and special effects etc.

regards

John

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections