Posted By
Fred_Gassit
Apr 28, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I will be visiting the US in July this year and, while there, I’ll probably buy an ASUS EeePC with Windows XP. E

As the EeePC does not come with a DVD drive and I won’t be able to bring one with me on the trip, may I ask you how I can install my existing software (which is all on CDs, here in Australia) on the ASUS while I’m in the US.

In particular, when I installed my Photoshop 7.0 software (which is on a Photoshop upgrade disk) on my Dell desktop computer, during the installation process, the CD software asks me to load my Photoshop 6.0 disk to verify that I have the original full version of Photoshop 6.0 which is required to install the Photoshop 7.0 upgrade. This I did on the DELL and all went smoothly. Before I leave for the US, I’ll uninstall Photoshop from my DELL desktop computer.

Would there be some way to copy the Photoshop 6.0 and 7.0 disks onto a USB flash memory drive so that they can be installed from that. But what would happen when the installation process asks for the Photoshop 6.0 disk to be installed? In other words how would I direct the installation process to the Photoshop 6.0 disk copy on the USB memory drive?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer. Fred.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RB
Rudy Benner
Apr 28, 2008
wrote in message
Hello,

I will be visiting the US in July this year and, while there, I’ll probably buy an ASUS EeePC with Windows XP. E

As the EeePC does not come with a DVD drive and I won’t be able to bring one with me on the trip, may I ask you how I can install my existing software (which is all on CDs, here in Australia) on the ASUS while I’m in the US.

In particular, when I installed my Photoshop 7.0 software (which is on a Photoshop upgrade disk) on my Dell desktop computer, during the installation process, the CD software asks me to load my Photoshop 6.0 disk to verify that I have the original full version of Photoshop 6.0 which is required to install the Photoshop 7.0 upgrade. This I did on the DELL and all went smoothly. Before I leave for the US, I’ll uninstall Photoshop from my DELL desktop computer.

Would there be some way to copy the Photoshop 6.0 and 7.0 disks onto a USB flash memory drive so that they can be installed from that. But what would happen when the installation process asks for the Photoshop 6.0 disk to be installed? In other words how would I direct the installation process to the Photoshop 6.0 disk copy on the USB memory drive?

I see it has 3 USB ports. Perfect for an external CD/DVD drive, another for an external HDD, with one left over.

Pretty amazing little device, really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC#Specifications

Maybe I can convince myself to get one too.
TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Apr 28, 2008
"Rudy Benner" wrote in message
wrote in message
Hello,

I see it has 3 USB ports. Perfect for an external CD/DVD drive, another for an external HDD, with one left over.

Pretty amazing little device, really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC#Specifications

Maybe I can convince myself to get one too.

Rudy,

Before you do read
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connect ed/2008/04/24/dlasus124.xml They won’t even run MSOffice so I wouldn’t hold out much hope for PS.

TWK
B
Boskey
Apr 28, 2008
wrote in message
Hello,

Bring your installation CD’s with you, then purchase a USB CD player along with your EeePC.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Apr 28, 2008
Fred,

I would copy the "photoshop" folder to the USB drive, copy that to the desktop, and run Setup from there.

I don’t know what the installer actually needs to see when it wants to verify, but you might copy the entire PS 6 cd to the drive too. Don’t mix them up though.

I would certainly try this first, to make sure it works.

BTW, you don’t have to wipe PS from your desktop computer, according to the EULA you’re entitled to an additional install on one second computer.

Rob
FG
Fred_Gassit
Apr 28, 2008
Hello Rob,

Thanks for your quick and informative reply.

I’ll try what you suggested–fingers crossed.

Thanks again,
Fred.
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 29, 2008
I would copy the total contents (as is) of the newer version disk to one flash drive and the contents of the older version to a separate flash drive to better simulate the normal procedure.
FG
Fred_Gassit
Apr 29, 2008
Hello John,

Thanks too for your suggestion. I’ll try it in a few more days on a friend’s laptop to see if it works.

Many thanks,
Fred.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections