How do I straighten images using Photoshop CS2?

SH
Posted By
Stephen Hunt
Mar 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can someone please tell me how I straighten images like horizons and buildings using Photoshop CS2?

I run the software under Windows XP

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CY
curt_young
Mar 18, 2008
Have you looked in CS2 help menu? In CS3 it says Choose File > Automate > Crop And Straighten Photos.
SH
Stephen Hunt
Mar 18, 2008
I can crop images no problem, but cannot see how to straighten them. Surely there must be a seperate tool somewhere for this purpose.
Z
Zog
Mar 18, 2008
What I do is press Ctrl-T which activates Free Transform. I press Ctrl-" which turns on the grid. I can then rotate the file to correct a drooping horizon, or I can Right-Click on the image to activate the contextual menu, and select Skew. In that mode, I can grab a corner and drag it up or down, right or left, to shift or tilt the image.

Another way to level horizons is to use the Measure tool and from the menu, <Image>, <Rotate Canvas>, <Arbitrary>. You use the Measure tool to draw a line from one part of the horizon to another. When you click Arbitrary you’ll get a little dialog. Click <OK> and the image rotates. You’ll need to deal with cropping next since your image no longer fills the corners.
P
Phosphor
Mar 18, 2008
Yeah, I’m with Zog in his second paragraph. That’s how I do it.
S
Silkrooster
Mar 20, 2008
Lens correction filter is another way, if it is in CS2. Its also the only way I know of to visually rotate the entire canvas. Not sure if it is destructive or not.
C
Celcius
Mar 20, 2008
"Stephen Hunt" wrote in message
Can someone please tell me how I straighten images like horizons and buildings using Photoshop CS2?

I run the software under Windows XP

Thank you.
Stephen,
Click right on the eye dropper tool, choose the "measure tool". Pick a horizontal or vertical line, click on a point and drag to another, following the line, then release the button of the mouse. You will see a line along the vert./ hor. chosen line.
Then click on "Image", "Rotate canvas", "Arbitrary", a small window will
open. Just click "OK". It’s done.
Next, you might have to crop to get rid of the "white" spaces. Take care,
Marcel
I
ID._Awe
Mar 20, 2008
Lens correction is in CS2 under Filter/Distort. Yes it is destructive and you can rotate the entire canvas by using Rotate/Arbitrary. You can also elevate the background to a layer and use Ctrl-T, if you wish to do this multiple layers use Ctrl-select the layers and the rotation will apply to the selected layers.
S
Silkrooster
Mar 20, 2008
Yeah, I am not thinking. Free transform visually will rotate the image.
C
Celcius
Mar 21, 2008
wrote in message
Yeah, I am not thinking. Free transform visually will rotate the image.

Yes, but not as precisely as "rotate canvas".
Marcel

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections