PT
Posted By
Polli_Turner
Mar 13, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using Photoshop CS2, when I open files with text layers (also created in CS2, just a few minutes earlier) I get a message: "Some text layers might need to be updated before they can be used for Vector output. . ."

I’m new to Photoshop and am wondering what this means and why it’s happening? Is it normal?

Any help appreciated!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Mar 14, 2008
The images were probably prepared with fonts that either are not installed on your current computer or exist in a different version. The fonts are not embedded in the image file, but the text layers include a rasterized view of the current state of the layer. If you try to edit a text layer, the system needs to use the font to generate the vector view for editing purposes. Likewise if you print to a Postscript printer, which uses the vector version of the text. If you don’t have exactly the font installed as when the image was created, Photoshop will try to guess how it should look, using either a different version of the font or a substitute font, and your results may well vary from what you expected.
CS
Crissy_Sousa
Aug 12, 2008
I know this post is kind of old but I had a question and I hope someone gets back to me. I’ve had a lot of experience with Photoshop, but this one is tricky. Is there a way to stop these dialog boxes from coming up? My other computers hard drive malfunctioned and I had to transfer all of my data to another computer and my photoshop files are CS2 version. Now this computer has regular CS. Everytime I open a file, that box pops up. There has to be a way to always update text layers! There isn’t much of a difference with the font. I’m changing it anyway, but I have alot of files to open up and it’s kind of a pain. Helpppppp.
EB
Ernie_Basciano
Oct 17, 2008
Go to edit-preferences-general, at the bottom you can choose to turn off the warning dialogues.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Oct 17, 2008
I think the structure of the (CS)text layers needs to be updated to CS3, nothing to do with missing fonts IMO.

I experienced this too when I upgraded from CS to CS3. I noticed a slight change in font size though, so carefully inspect your work after updating the text layers.

Might be good to save to a different name, and then compare.

Rob
EB
Ernie_Basciano
Oct 17, 2008
The good news is that it does not seem to cause much of a problem, just an annoyance. However in answer to Rob above, I have had this happen to me today, and the file was originally created on the same computer with the same identical CS3.

I wish Adobe would tell us why this happens for sure.
M
Mylenium
Oct 18, 2008
Might have to do with how the font usage varies for display purposes vs. the data PS embeds vs. system identification vs. system language settings vs. printer settings etc.. We regularly get this on systems on our network at work, where some machines run in English, others in German, but all of them use the same version of Win XP and the same font files. Certainly a combination of some of the conditions that causes these warnings.

Mylenium

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections