Photoshop: 1GB – TIFF-file of 300 dpi too big?

Q
Posted By
quincyv
Mar 13, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am starting to get grey hair with photoshop…

I have just bought a new quad core pc with 4 GB RAM, but XP SP2 only accepts 3,25 GB. Furthermore I have installed Abode Suite CS3 and did all the updates.

I have to merge 2 TIFF-file and make some corrections, after doing this I generated a 300 dpi CMYK tiff-file of 1 GB. At this point PS crashes and I can’t open the file any more, it blocks when reaching +- 70%

I have selected to use the maximum memory via Photoshop preferences. But is not possible anymore, the only thing I can do is to close photoshop via the task-manager…

Is there anyone who can help me with this matter?
I would be very greatful…

Thx,

Quincy

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JJ
John_Joslin
Mar 13, 2008
I have selected to use the maximum memory via Photoshop preferences.

That may be your problem right there. Wind it back to 55% and see if that helps.

If it does, you can try to step it up bit by bit.

What pixel dimensions does you image have?
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Mar 13, 2008
I have selected to use the maximum memory via Photoshop preferences

That probably causes trouble already: what you assign to Ps, isn’t available to the O/S, so slde it back to 80% or so.

The resolution is irrelevant, and expressed in ppi, BTW.

A one gig file is big, but shouldn’t crash PS. Does it happen with other big files too?

Rob
Q
quincyv
Mar 13, 2008
Already thanks in advance for the fast feedback.

I put the slide back to 50 % but the problem still exists, when loading the file it blocks at +- 40% in stead of 70%.
What the current file concerns, pixels are 3250/4195.
The problem is the same with a ‘lookalike’ file.

A strange that I noticed, XP says that I have 3,25 GB RAM, however in PS the maximum size I can slide to is 1708 RAM. Could this trigger any poblem?

Q
JJ
John_Joslin
Mar 13, 2008
Try resetting your preferences as described in the FAQ.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ef4a07f/1>

You either have to physically delete (or rename) the preference files or, if using the Alt, Ctrl, and Shift method, be sure that you get a confirmation dialog.

This resets all settings in Photoshop to factory defaults.
Q
quincyv
Mar 13, 2008
I tried to use CTRL/ALT/DEL, but it gives me the task manager, so it didn’t work. I also searched the *.psp file, but it couldn’t find it.

Any other tips, so I can reach this file?
BL
Bob Levine
Mar 13, 2008
The others have hit on the system and set up issues but I’ll a few more notes.

1. If you’re working on images this large, upgrade to Vista 64 bit and add four more gigs of RAM.

2. What are you designing for that is creating images that large? For the most part, I’ve found that people creating images that size are over doing it with high resolutions using 300 ppi simply because they think EVERYTHING that gets printed requires it.

Bob
Q
quincyv
Mar 13, 2008
Thanks Bob, for your reaction, regarding the setting of this file, what would you recommend that needs to be used in order to have a good quality?

Q
BL
Bob Levine
Mar 13, 2008
What are the 100% dimensions going to be and how is going to be printed?

Bob
I
ID._Awe
Mar 13, 2008
Quincy: How many hard drives do you have? Where did you put the PS temp files?
Q
quincyv
Mar 13, 2008
The 100 % dimensions are:
3250 / 4195 px or in cm: 86/111cm.

Regarding the Harddrives, I have one Western digital 320 GB , splitted in 2 partitions: 150/170 GB. The PS temp files go on the primary C-partition
JJ
John_Joslin
Mar 13, 2008
I tried to use CTRL/ALT/DEL, but it gives me the task manager

It’s Ctrl+Alt+ Shift!

And you need to make sure "hidden" files are made visible in Explorer.
BL
Bob Levine
Mar 13, 2008
3 feet by 4 feet. My guess you could get away with 50-75 ppi easily. Maybe even less.

Bob
Q
quincyv
Mar 14, 2008
Made my final decision and reinstalled Photoshop CS1, everything works perfect as it should be.

But I just spend quite some money in CS3, do you think I can claim Adobe for this?
I
ID._Awe
Mar 14, 2008
quincy: you should get another drive altogether. if you are working on files that large you would need the extra space. the temp file should never be placed on the primary boot partition.
Q
quincyv
Mar 14, 2008
I just installed a new drive that goes 10.000 RPM, the other drive goes 7200 RPM, so I use the last one just for data storage. And the 10000 RPM I use to put windows, PS and the file I am working with.

I think in first instance this is the best solution no?
JJ
John_Joslin
Mar 14, 2008
this is the best solution no?

No.

Use the fast one for the Photoshop scratch. The rest rather depends on the size of the drives in GB.

The "file you are working on" can be anywhere on a local drive – it is loaded into memory and not modified until you save it.
BL
Bob Levine
Mar 14, 2008
But your files are still 4-5 times larger than they need to be.

Bob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections