Toolbox shortcut commands no longer work in CS2 and…

JP
Posted By
Jesse_Parris
Mar 12, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Toolbox shortcut commands no longer work in PS CS2. Any command that I try to execute in PS generates a "program error" message, including trying to exit the program. Now I have to go into Task Manager and "kill" it in there to get out of it. Images and changes will not save.

I have deleted the PS preferences and rebooted. I un-installed and re-installed PS. Same problem. Only happens in PS, not InDesign.

I can click directly on the toolbox to activate a certain tool, but this is so painfully slow. I’m pretty much dead in the water so any help appreciate.

Dell 8400 3 ghz box, Window XP latest version, all updates. Tons of memory and hard drive space.

[sig deleted by forum host]

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Mar 12, 2008
Completely uninstall Illustrator and all its components.

Create an entirely new user account which has all the same file permissions/access.

Log on to the new account, install Illustrator for just account. Don’t allow access to any other applications. Just Illustrator, base system fonts, and as few other apps as you can get away with for testing purposes..

Try again.

What happens?
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 12, 2008
jeebers! can a mod remove all that personal info! jesse, you just posted all your stuff across the interweb!!! these forums are mirrored to nntp!
P
Phosphor
Mar 12, 2008
"these forums are mirrored to nntp!"

Not only that, these threads are all scraped, reformatted and shoved into forums at quite a few other places, courtesy of those clever and magical bots.

So all your info is open to harvesting—at a bunch of different places—for email addresses, and who knows what else. Thus SPAM continues to proliferate.
JP
Jesse_Parris
Mar 13, 2008
Thanks, I will not post personal info again. I don’t know what nntp is. I though people wanted to know who the person posting was.

A little more info on the toolbox problem. When I load up Photoshop I concurrently have open the MS Task Manager. Photoshop loads up but just keeps on going and never stops until it gets to a couple of gigs in size.
I’m going to un-install the complete CS2 Suite and see if that helps anything. I also starting getting RAM error messages inside Photoshop this morning and this is not happening with any other programs so this leads me to thing that something has corrupted the program in ram somehow.

I’m at a loss on this one. I think it’s easier for me to just get buy a new Winbox instead of reformatting the hard drive and going through the whole thing again if there are hardware issues.

Jesse
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 13, 2008
where did you get the program? is this new behaviour or has it always been this way? does the disk say "made in singapore" on it?

i’m asking becasue htere were some high quality pirated versions of cs2 around… some from amazon resellers (not direct purchase from amazon, but the resellers) and some on ebay.
JJ
John_Joslin
Mar 13, 2008
I’m going to un-install the complete CS2 Suite and see if that helps anything.

Before doing anything as drastic reset your preferences as described in the FAQ.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ef4a07f/1>

You either have to physically delete (or rename) the preference files or, if using the Alt, Ctrl, and Shift method, be sure that you get a confirmation dialog.

This resets all settings in Photoshop to factory defaults.

A complete uninstall/re-install will not affect the preferences and a corrupt file there may be causing the problem.
JP
Jesse_Parris
Mar 13, 2008
The program has worked without any problems for two years. It was purchased at CDW under our company account.

Here’s where I am with it. I am completely screwed now and at the "format the hard drive" point. When I go to install the CS2 Suite, the installer disk says that everything is out there on the hard drive BUT Photoshop, even though I used the installer CD to removed all components. I can’t reinstall over anything, or install anything at all.

I went through the OS Registry and cleaned out what I think is everything but the install disk is reading something somewhere in a file that I can’t seem to locate. I also went through the Common files under programs and cleaned that out as well. So, it looks like a reformat for me.

So, I’ve order a brand new 250 gig hard drive in case there are any issues going on from that end. Right now I’m going through withdrawal symptoms because I no longer can access CS2 and I have a boatload of projects to work on. Your basic nightmare. Wait, maybe I’m dreaming all this…

Jesse

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections