Posted By
michael
Mar 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all,

I am considering buying a Wacom tablet. I’m not much of a sketch artist or drawer, but rather I was wondering if a Wacom tablet would be (after getting used to it) faster and/or more efficient for doing precision selections and cutouts in Photoshop. I’m sure I will be doing some sketching/drawing at some point, but my main purpose would be for selections, such as with the pen or lasso tool.

I’m currently considering the 4×6 Intuos3, at about $199. I’ve watched some vids and brief tutorials of the tablet. Looks great, and like it could really be useful! Any input/advice much appreciated.

Michael

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

N
nospam
Mar 8, 2008
"Michael J" wrote in message
Hello all,

I am considering buying a Wacom tablet. I’m not much of a sketch artist or drawer, but rather I was wondering if a Wacom tablet would be (after getting used to it) faster and/or more efficient for doing precision selections and cutouts in Photoshop. I’m sure I will be doing some sketching/drawing at some point, but my main purpose would be for selections, such as with the pen or lasso tool.

I’m currently considering the 4×6 Intuos3, at about $199. I’ve watched some vids and brief tutorials of the tablet. Looks great, and like it could really be useful! Any input/advice much appreciated.
Michael

There’s no comparison. Once you use a tablet for work in PS, everything else seems absurdly clumsy and imprecise.

It’s a sizeable investment though for most people, so if you buy one, be sure you’re actually going to use it.
MC
Monte Cristo
Mar 9, 2008
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 21:14:07 GMT,
wrote:

Hello all,

Michael

There’s no comparison. Once you use a tablet for work in PS, everything else seems absurdly clumsy and imprecise.

It’s a sizeable investment though for most people, so if you buy one, be sure you’re actually going to use it.

Thanks for all the continuing input people. I recently got done watching a video from Photoshop Cafe, "Photoshop Secrets – Wacom Tablets and Photoshop," with Colin Smith and Wes Maggio (no plug intended). After watching this vid I must say, I HAVE TO HAVE ONE! Wow, I don’t think I could have imagined how useful these things could be and how far they have come with the technology. It’s even inspiring me to draw, (plus it should come in handy with Flash 8 as another benefit). For my main purposes of selection, I don’t know if the tablet will be mega-more precise than a precision mouse/track ball, but at least equally so and man will it ever be more efficient than a mouse after you get used to it. Especially toggling back and forth from direct select to quick mask mode. And the EASY opacity changes for transparency with the brush pressure levels? One word: awesome. In fact, after seeing what these things can do, I think I’m going to go with the 6×8 Intuos3 rather than the 4×6. I’ve been contemplating having a tablet since ’02. I think it’s time to get one.

Michael
S
Scubabix
Mar 9, 2008

Amen to both comments.
M
michael
Mar 10, 2008
Using a 6×11 Intuos III with dual monitors. Took me awhile to get used to but once you get it down, a mouse feels like the most awkward way to ever work in photoshop.
One thing I did do though….I bought a Targus lapdesk stand: http://reviews.cnet.com/notebook-accessories/targus-notebook -portable-lapdesk/4505-6459_7-30464339.html
I found that angling the tablet made is much more comfortable than having it lay flat on the desk.

"Monte Cristo" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 21:14:07 GMT,
wrote:

Hello all,

Michael

Thanks for all the continuing input people. I recently got done watching a video from Photoshop Cafe, "Photoshop Secrets – Wacom Tablets and Photoshop," with Colin Smith and Wes Maggio (no plug intended). After watching this vid I must say, I HAVE TO HAVE ONE! Wow, I don’t think I could have imagined how useful these things could be and how far they have come with the technology. It’s even inspiring me to draw, (plus it should come in handy with Flash 8 as another benefit). For my main purposes of selection, I don’t know if the tablet will be mega-more precise than a precision mouse/track ball, but at least equally so and man will it ever be more efficient than a mouse after you get used to it. Especially toggling back and forth from direct select to quick mask mode. And the EASY opacity changes for transparency with the brush pressure levels? One word: awesome. In fact, after seeing what these things can do, I think I’m going to go with the 6×8 Intuos3 rather than the 4×6. I’ve been contemplating having a tablet since ’02. I think it’s time to get one.
Michael

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections