BN
Posted By
bryan_nieman
Feb 6, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just installed CS3 in Windows Vista Ultimate x64 on my PC and I have my working color space set as sRGB. The color is dull when opening documents in any Adobe application with the working color space set to sRGB. The color is fixed if I change the working profile to my monitor profile which is "Monitor RGB – Dell 2407WFP-HC"

When in the "Monitor RGB – Dell 2407WFP-HC" profile whenever I open an existing file Photoshop alerts me that the embedded color profile is different than my working profile (all of my existing files are managed as sRGB and on my previous computer the sRGB profile looked perfect.)

Photoshop I could theoretically live with but the same problem occurs in Acrobat and changing the "Working Profile" in Acrobat has no change on how the sRGB managed PDF is being displayed. The same PDF will look fine on another computer.

How do I get sRGB color to display correctly in Adobe applications and not look dull and muted?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

KV
Klaas Visser
Feb 6, 2008
Have you calibrated your monitor since moving to the new system?

Also, you should never use the monitor profile as a working space.
BN
bryan_nieman
Feb 6, 2008
Thanks for the reply Klaas,

I have not calibrated the monitor but again the problem is exactly the same when viewing Photoshop or Acrobat from Remote Desktop on my laptop which disregards any monitor calibrating.
KV
Klaas Visser
Feb 6, 2008
Well, Photoshop is a colour managed application, that will display "incorrect" colours without a properly calibrated monitor. Same for viewing it on your laptop.

I would suggest doing that first, and letting us know if there is still significant colour issues, once calibrated.
B
babaloo
Feb 6, 2008
I think that what has happened is that you do not understand or properly use color management and have moved from a set up where fortuitously things worked for you to a set up where reality has caught up with you. The truth is sRGB is a "duller" color space than Adobe RGB. The difference will not be visible in all images but in many the colors will visibly mute when changing from Adobe RGB to sRGB.
You are using a default monitor profile instead of a calibrated monitor profile: apples are not oranges.
You are using 64 bit Vista: Nvidia and ATI video drivers are a work in progress for 32 bit Vista and a work for which there is no progress in 64 bit Vista. Vista is a dead end OS for Microsoft and 64 bit and even deader end.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Feb 6, 2008
The monitor should be not only calibrated, but also profiled. Photoshop uses the profile to ensure a calibrated monitor sees what it is capable of seeing properly.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections