Photoshop CS3 Extended "Not Responding" after selecting horizontal type tool.

L
Posted By
Lexinator
Feb 1, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

When I start my PhotoShop CS3 Extended v10.0 and load up a jpg and then zoom in and go select the horizontal type tool and click on my jpg, PS just freezes and then I click the main screen and then it tells me infinetly that it has "Stop Responding"

I am running Win XP Pro SP2 (2600) 2GB DDR, ample HD space, Intel Core Duo processor 1.66GHz.

Can some one tell me whats going on?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
John_Joslin
Feb 1, 2008
First point; update to Version 10.0.1.

Then try resetting the Type tool from the Options Bar or the Character Palette. If that doesn’t fix it reset the PS preferences as described in the FAQ.
L
Lexinator
Feb 19, 2008
So is there any solution to this problem?
JJ
John_Joslin
Feb 19, 2008
It might be a dodgy font. Try a system-wide search for adobefnt*.LST files and delete all you find – They will be rebuilt as required.

Also you may have just too many fonts active or just a single corrupt font which you will need to delete.

Isolate the problem font by removing half your fonts, then check to see if the problem is resolved. If it is, try loading half of the remaining fonts, check again etc. etc.

This way you should eventually be able to isolate the problem font.
BA
Ben_Anderson
Aug 18, 2008
Another way to find a corrupt font in Photoshop CS3.
1. Reset prefs. (Ctrl+Shift+double click icon then immediately add Alt)
2. Edit > Preferences > Type > Uncheck Font Preview Size
3. Close and reopen Photoshop to save prefs.
4. New document.
5. Select Horizontal Type tool.
6. Type some sample text in document.
7. Select Move tool.
8. Open Character dock window.
9. Select first font in Font drop down list.
10. Hold Down arrow on keyboard to scroll through font list. 11. When Photoshop locks up, the font showing is corrupt. 12. Remove font(s).
13. Check Font Preview Size.

Discovered after two days of removing and reinstalling Photoshop, Version Cue, fonts, etc.
A
amer
Oct 8, 2008
Hi there,

I’ve been using photoshop a lot recently and occasionally my tools stop working and all i get is the hand tool and when i try to click on the paint brush or any other tool nothing happens and i’m constantly stuck with the hand. I’ve tried restoring everything to default, but that doesn’t help. I usually just exit photoshop and after a short while i’ll load everything up again and it will work fine, but it will eventually happen again at some point.

Anyone know what is causing this to happen?. Gets pretty annoying and i have tried everything. I’m using Photoshop CS3 on Vista Ultimate.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 8, 2008
Sticking Space bar?
DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 9, 2008
Also you may have just too many fonts active

Chris Cox has assured me/us that you cannot have too many fonts active.

However, the possibility of a bad font is a potential problem (and usually happens with font collectors who load every font in they can find on the web).
DW
Doug_Watkins
Jan 3, 2009
My thanks to John Joslyn and message #11. I followed these instructions and was able to get Photoshop to run again.
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 3, 2009
Good to hear Doug. 🙂

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections