SM
Posted By
steve_marshall
Jan 30, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This posting was made in April of last year but I can’t reply to it so I’ll post it all over again.

I just installed CS3 and I get the error message "No more virtual tiles can be allocated" when I try to run certain filters like most of the "sketch" ones.

I’ve tried to increase the memory usage to 1380MB (80%), Cache levels to 8 and I still get the error.

What’s a virtual tile and how can I allocate more?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Jan 30, 2008
SM
steve_marshall
Jan 31, 2008
I just heard another guy in my department gets the same error. I’d consider getting IT to deal with it but they don’t support anything but Word, Excel and Outlook.
P
Phosphor
Feb 1, 2008
<http://xrl.us/bfjox> (Link to www.experts-exchange.com)
SM
steve_marshall
Aug 12, 2008
I’ve been to the Photoshop Help and the Adobe Knowledge Base and systematically went through every single possible solution. The only thing that works on my computer is getting the IT department to give my user account the administrator privileges. Now I don’t get the virtual tiles error.
Although I’ve been trying to get the privileges since mid March. I’ve been at different companies and all the IT departments are the same. They want to control your computer and give you nothing. Does Adobe realize this or did I just work at bad places? It’d be great if Photoshop could find something else to use memory to do its effects.
C
Curvemeister
Aug 13, 2008
Though it’s always possible there is a bug, Photoshop runs without admin privileges. Is it possible that your scratch disk permissions requires admin privileges?
SM
steve_marshall
Aug 13, 2008
I can use Photoshop without rights except for some effects like the photocopy one. It could be that my company specifically requires admin rights for the scratch disk only.
This is why I’m suggesting that Adobe might want to consider trying to not use special areas of the hard drive that some companies might not allow rights to.
Everyone else in my department is now working on getting admin rights, which IT doesn’t like.
C
Curvemeister
Aug 13, 2008
If Photoshop starts at all, then you have write privileges on the scratch disk. So that’s not it.

Just thinking about possibilities here, another possibility is quotas – your admin folks may be able to solve the problem by bumping everyone’s quota on the scratch disk.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections