Differences Between Pro Photo RGB and Adobe 1998 RGB Masking.

LH
Posted By
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jan 5, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently switched my "Color Settings Profile" from "Pro Photo RGB" to "Adobe RGB". I opened a file saved in the old Pro photo RGB, containing color adjustment layers, without converting and found that the image did not match the Bridge Preview at all. So, I made a copy, saved it and opened it, converting to the default profile and now the Preview and the PS image match, but the two on screen images did not.

It seems that, when converting an image from one profile to another, with such images containing color adjustment layers, the profile change profoundly affects just what the output is for the values set in the layers.

Nowhere is this more evident than dong a B&W conversion. The differences are startling, especially if you are using more than one layer in the conversion process.

It would seem to me that all the color values should shift accordingly, but all that changes is the image itself, not the expected color shift of the layers. This is going to be a problem down the line as I have a fair number of images saved as Pro Photo and converted to B&W but not flattened.

Bummer!

Any workarounds. except to flatten?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jan 6, 2008
Even worse:

Image:Pro Photo RGB, includes several color layers
Working Space Adobe RGB

Open and retain Prophoto RGB, image looks right

Open and change to Adobe RGB Image looks bad

Open and retain Pro Photo, then go to Edit>Convert to Adobe RGB, no visual change.

It appears that when converting upon opening, only the image gets converted, but open then convert and everything tracks.
B
Buko
Jan 6, 2008
When I open an image I always preserve settings.

then if I need to convert to profile I will do it. I have found that this is the best work flow.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jan 6, 2008
Same conclusion examining a bunch of older files today.

Tnx, Buko.
B
Buko
Jan 6, 2008
As far back as I can remember this has always been the way to do it.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections