ID
Posted By
Ian D
Oct 9, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am presently using PSE 6 on a system with 6GB of RAM.

When I run PSE 6 in XP Pro, it has less than 2GB of workspace, which is expected. When I run XP Pro with the /3GB switch enabled, PSE 6 has about 2.4GB of workspace available,
which is in the expected range. All is okay with XP Pro.

When I run PSE 6 in 64 bit Vista Ultimate it has less than 2GB of workspace available, and it should have close
to 3GB available. This means that PSE 6 is not recognizing the full 3GB avaiable to it, as it should for an application that is large address aware. Any 32 bit application
that can use more than 2GB in a 32 bit OS with /3GB set, should also be able to use more than 2GB in a 64 bit OS.

If anybody is running PSE 7 in 64 bit Vista or Win 7, I was wondering if you could check in Edit > Preferences > Performance to see if the memory available to PSE 7 is greater than 2GB.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JK
Jeffrey Kaplan
Oct 10, 2009
Previously on adobe.photoshop.elements, Ian D said:

When I run PSE 6 in XP Pro, it has less than 2GB of workspace, which is expected. When I run XP Pro with the /3GB switch enabled, PSE 6 has about 2.4GB of workspace available,
When I run PSE 6 in 64 bit Vista Ultimate it has less than 2GB of workspace available, and it should have close
to 3GB available. This means that PSE 6 is not recognizing the full 3GB avaiable to it, as it should for an application that is large address aware. Any 32 bit application
that can use more than 2GB in a 32 bit OS with /3GB set, should also be able to use more than 2GB in a 64 bit OS.
If anybody is running PSE 7 in 64 bit Vista or Win 7, I was wondering if you could check in Edit > Preferences > Performance to see if the memory available to PSE 7 is greater than 2GB.

PSE, all versions that I know of, are 32bit and thus the application cannot possibly make use of more than somewhere between 3.5 and 4 gigs of RAM, including the RAM space the program itself occupies.

I have PSE7 installed in Vista Ultimate x64 with 8GB of physical RAM installed. I am unable to set it to use more than 2G of available RAM. But then, I did not know there was a switch to make it go higher. Is that ‘/3GB’ switch in the commandline for PSE? Or what?

Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol

"The East gate is malfunctioning! It won’t close!" "Unleash the baby ducks." – Two guards, Sluggy Freelance
ID
Ian D
Oct 10, 2009
"Jeffrey Kaplan" wrote in message
Previously on adobe.photoshop.elements, Ian D said:

PSE, all versions that I know of, are 32bit and thus the application cannot possibly make use of more than somewhere between 3.5 and 4 gigs of RAM, including the RAM space the program itself occupies.
I have PSE7 installed in Vista Ultimate x64 with 8GB of physical RAM installed. I am unable to set it to use more than 2G of available RAM. But then, I did not know there was a switch to make it go higher. Is that ‘/3GB’ switch in the commandline for PSE? Or what?

Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol
"The East gate is malfunctioning! It won’t close!" "Unleash the baby ducks." – Two guards, Sluggy Freelance

The /3gb switch only works with 32 bit XP, and only applications that are "large address aware" recognize that switch and use more than 2GB. The switch goes in XP’s boot.ini file, and a different setting is used in 32 bit Vista’s bootmgr file. PSE 6 can recognize those settings and use up to 3GB. I assume it would be the same for PSE 7 & 8.

Vista x64 doesn’t need that switch and PSE 6 should be able to use up to 3GB in 64 bit Vista by default. PSE 6 doesn’t, and you just confirmed that PSE 7 also doesn’t, so the problem is with PSE. Maybe Adobe wants people to use CS4 if they need a larger workspace in a 64 bit OS.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections