Posted By
steve
Aug 11, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Im hoping someone can help me.

I have Camera Capture that came with my D70s. It works on XP but as it turns out it does not work on Vista. There is no plan to upgrade by Nikon.

Is there a free tethering software that works with D70s. The Nikon software camera capture pro is like 175$. Im sure it comes with way more features than I need.

Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NE
Nate Eaton
Sep 20, 2009
On Aug 11, 10:22 am, steve wrote:
Im hoping someone can help me.

I have Camera Capture that came with my D70s. It works on XP but as it turns out it does not work on Vista. There is no plan to upgrade by Nikon.

Is there a free tethering software that works with D70s. The Nikon software camera capture pro is like 175$. Im sure it comes with way more features than I need.

Thanks.

There is a great free alternative available here:

http://www.diyphotobits.com/download-diyphotobitscom-camera- control/

Unfortunately, it has issues under Vista that are probably similar to what you’ve seen. Here’s a summary of the problem:

In Vista, MS implemented the Windows Portable Device API and then implemented a WPD driver that provides support for Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) API. It appears, based on testing I’ve done, that you get significantly different and reduced functionality with WPD-
WIA on Vista vs. WIA on XP. Under Vista, properties like picture
height & width no longer exist, and the values for properties like Exposure Comp are completely different (at least for negative values, which explains why Camera Control can’t set a negative exp comp value when running under Vista).

Note that while some features may not be implementable using WPD, others probably are but require an update to the calling code to account for differences in native WIA under XP and WIA as implemented with Vista (and Windows 7) under WPD. I expect that eventually someone – the author of DIYPhotoBits Camera Control, myself or someone else using it with the appropriate experience – will make the updates necessary for it to work more like it should under Vista.

In the mean time, you might try it anyway – several people have posted workarounds on DIYPhotoBits that may be just enough for it to be a free workable solution for you.

On a related note, can anyone with experience with Camera Capture Pro comment on how it works on Vista? I have to assume Nikon made it work, though presumably they’ve had to develop their own imaging API rather than relying on WPD/WIA.

Regards,
Nate

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections