How to change the user name information in Adobe Photoshop without re-installing Photoshop?

B
Posted By
bergamo
Jan 2, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need change the user name information in Adobe Photoshop 7.0 (name that is displayed on the Photoshop splash screen and in the About program name dialog box on the Help menu). Windows XP home.

How I can change the user name information in Photoshop 7 without uninstalling Photoshop and running Setup again? Probably, this can be done by modifying the Windows registry. I just searched for user name information in Registry, and found 3 keys where these data stored:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Registration\User
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Photoshop\7.0\Registration HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Uninstall\Adobe Photoshop 7.0

Not sure is there more keys, which I did not found.

What is exact steps to change the user name details?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
Don_McCahill
Jan 3, 2008
Probably, this can be done by modifying the Windows registry.

I doubt it. Adobe plants information in many other locations than the registry. I suspect the exact steps you need involve a call to Adobe to explain your problem. If the software was registered, they will have to change the name for you.
B
bergamo
Jan 3, 2008
I tried to contact Adobe customer service, but had no luck. This is old version, I think it is possible to change user intormation without reinstalling. For example, it is possible to change company name and user name in Microsoft Office 2003:

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821550>

So why it not possible in Photoshop 7 use the similar way? Again, I need exact steps where to modify registration info.
B
Buko
Jan 3, 2008
I’m pretty sure you can’t without uninstalling and reinstalling
B
bergamo
Jan 3, 2008
Why?? Microsoft Office 2003 is even more complicated software, and nevertheless, it possible. It possible even for windows XP. Why Adobe support team not post step-by-step article, same as Microsoft does? Have someone read this article:
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821550>
Is here somebody from Adobe tech support staff? Needless to say, Adobe official support is poor. Even have no idea why. Corel support is much, much better.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jan 3, 2008
Because that’s the way it is!

We are just users here.
B
Buko
Jan 3, 2008
Microsoft Office 2003 is even more complicated software

put down your crack pipe.
JO
Jim_Oblak
Jan 3, 2008
IIRC, version 6 planted user info right in the EXE. Version 7 might have been the same. Modifying the EXE would violate the EULA.

Why is Adobe support considered ‘poor’ on an odd task like this? Modifying user info seems to be only required by software pirates or folks trying to sell off an old computer without a proper transfer of the Photoshop license.

What prevents reinstallation? Reinstallation would take much less time than waiting for an ideal reply on a forum.
B
bergamo
Jan 3, 2008
Multiple reinstallation of bulky software cause volume fragmentation.
P
Phosphor
Jan 4, 2008
So, you defrag.

I’m still curious about why you need to change the registrant’s info.
JO
Jim_Oblak
Jan 4, 2008
Any use of Photoshop causes volume fragmentation. That excuse about multiple reinstallations is lame.

I think we have a clear sign here that bergamo’s motives are not entirely Kosher.
B
bergamo
Jan 4, 2008
I’ve changed my name, company name – I want update this information in Photoshop, elementary. Note, I was asked about changing user/company information, not serial number. Modern software allows change this info directly from user interface, without reinstalling -save time & efforts. Sometimes it may require to change user information a few times per year. So you wish tinker with this every time?
I
ID._Awe
Jan 4, 2008
Why don’t you re-install and then defrag the HD? You would have long been finished by now.
P
Phosphor
Jan 4, 2008
Pre-zactly!
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 4, 2008
phos and id – both true.

I’ve changed my name, company name – I want update this information in Photoshop,

not a bad reason to allow that to be user modifiable though.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections