Posted By
David_Cantwell
Dec 31, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey,

I have Photoshop CS3 on a computer running Windows Vista Home Premium with 3GB of RAM and a 2.6ghz processor. It is very fast and can run multiple CS3 programs without slowing down one bit. However, whenever I try to create a large image in Photoshop (for a banner, like 84×48 inches), Photoshop slows down greatly and cannot do many functions without crashing. It makes sense because the file size is very large, but large banners and stuff are made all the time with Photoshop; everyone else can do it, that is what Photoshop is made to do. Is there a cache setting or something else that I can adjust to make it work better?

Thanks

P.S., I changed the Adobe Version Cue allocated RAM from I think 128MB(whatever the default is; something like that) to 512MB.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BL
Bob Levine
Dec 31, 2007
Physical dimensions mean nothing in inches…it’s pixel count that matters. For a banner that large I would expect a resolution of 50 ppi to be more than enough and for some printers you might even get away with less.

Bad move with Version Cue. Unless you actually use it, turn it off.

Bob
SP
Sid_Phillips
Jan 2, 2008
Robert’s correct. An 84" banner at a "typical" print rez of 300 would bring just about anybody’s system to its knees. Check with your printer and find out what the minimum resolution is for a banner that size. If they say 300 ppi find another printer, or talk to somebody else there.

And most people – or even workgroups – don’t use Version Cue anyway, so I’d definitely turn it off.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections