Posted By
noone
Apr 22, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PSE 6

Can someone explain what the Color Replacement Tool is supposed to do? I’m assuming it replaces one color with another. So how to I select the "from color" and the "to color"?

This is the Color Replacement Tool, selected from the bursh flyout tool bar on the left.

I can get it to paint a color, but not replace a specific color. For example, if my current foreground color is blue, the tool paints blue, everwhere, without regard to the previous color. It replaces ALL colors with blue. Detail is maintained, but everything becomes blue. Click once, click multiple times, drag, it all works the same, blue everywhere I paint.

None of the options a the top alter the behavior much. How to I get it to (for example) replace only green with blue as I paint using the tool?

Bruce.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

M
mazirion
Apr 22, 2008
First time I noticed that tool – paint all colours the foreground colour.

If you want to change one particular colour to another, you’ll *probably* have to select the colour you want to change, copy it into a new layer and then change it there.

In article <NvbPj.6092$>,
"Bruce." wrote:

PSE 6

Can someone explain what the Color Replacement Tool is supposed to do? I’m assuming it replaces one color with another. So how to I select the "from color" and the "to color"?

This is the Color Replacement Tool, selected from the bursh flyout tool bar on the left.

I can get it to paint a color, but not replace a specific color. For example, if my current foreground color is blue, the tool paints blue, everwhere, without regard to the previous color. It replaces ALL colors with blue. Detail is maintained, but everything becomes blue. Click once, click multiple times, drag, it all works the same, blue everywhere I paint.
None of the options a the top alter the behavior much. How to I get it to (for example) replace only green with blue as I paint using the tool?
Bruce.
N
noone
Apr 22, 2008
"maz" wrote in message
First time I noticed that tool – paint all colours the foreground colour.

If you want to change one particular colour to another, you’ll *probably* have to select the colour you want to change, copy it into a new layer and then change it there.

Thanks, but I’m hoping someone can explain how the Color Replacement Tool works and is used.

Bruce.
M
mazirion
Apr 22, 2008
It looks like all you do is select a foreground colour, then paint the photo with that colour. It changes all colours (except white from what I have seen) to the foreground colour. Doesn’t seem to be a choice of what colour gets changed – all get changed.

In article <FWkPj.21235$%>,
"Bruce." wrote:

Thanks, but I’m hoping someone can explain how the Color Replacement Tool works and is used.
N
noone
Apr 22, 2008
"maz" wrote in message
It looks like all you do is select a foreground colour, then paint the photo with that colour. It changes all colours (except white from what I have seen) to the foreground colour. Doesn’t seem to be a choice of what colour gets changed – all get changed.

That’s the way it appears here too. But this is how the "Sample Once" is described:

4. Choose your sampling method (represented by the icons): .. Continuous: Samples and replaces color continuously as you drag your mouse.
-> . Once: Replaces colors only in areas that contain the color you first sampled when you initially clicked.
.. Background Swatch: Replaces colors only in areas containing your current Background color.

In other words, if I chose Sample Once, it should replace only the colors taken from where I first click, with the foreground color.

But this doesn’t work. It replaces all colors everywhere, not just the color from where I first clicked. I’m beginning to suspect a bug.

Bruce.
N
noone
Apr 22, 2008
"Bruce." wrote in message
"maz" wrote in message

That’s the way it appears here too. But this is how the "Sample Once" is described:

4. Choose your sampling method (represented by the icons): . Continuous: Samples and replaces color continuously as you drag your mouse.
-> . Once: Replaces colors only in areas that contain the color you first sampled when you initially clicked.
. Background Swatch: Replaces colors only in areas containing your current Background color.

In other words, if I chose Sample Once, it should replace only the colors taken from where I first click, with the foreground color.
But this doesn’t work. It replaces all colors everywhere, not just the color from where I first clicked. I’m beginning to suspect a bug.

I haven’t been able to make the Color Replacement Tool work as described so I opened a support request today.

Bruce.
A
ALM
Apr 23, 2008
From the PSE Users Manual…

1 Select the Color Replacement tool . (The Color Replacement tool is nested under the Brush tool .)
2 Choose a brush tip from theBrushmenu in the options bar. ForMode, generally, you’ll want to keep the blending
mode set to Color.
3 Click one of the following Sampling options:
Continuous Samples colors continuously as you drag.
Once Replaces the targeted color only in areas containing the color that you first click.
Background Swatch Erases only areas containing the current background color. 4 For Limits, choose one of the following:
Discontiguous Replaces the sampled color wherever it occurs under the pointer.
Contiguous Replaces colors that are contiguous with the color immediately under the pointer.
5 For Tolerance, specify a low percentage to replace colors very similar to the pixel you click, or raise the percentage
to replace a broader range of colors.
6 To define a smooth edge to the areas you correct, select Anti-alias. 7 Choose a foreground color to use to replace the unwanted color. 8 Click the color you want to replace in the image.
PSE 6

Bruce.

N
noone
Apr 24, 2008
"ALM" wrote in message
From the PSE Users Manual…

1 Select the Color Replacement tool . (The Color Replacement tool is nested under the Brush tool .)
2 Choose a brush tip from theBrushmenu in the options bar. ForMode, generally, you’ll want to keep the blending
mode set to Color.
3 Click one of the following Sampling options:
Continuous Samples colors continuously as you drag.
Once Replaces the targeted color only in areas containing the color that you first click.
Background Swatch Erases only areas containing the current background color.
4 For Limits, choose one of the following:
Discontiguous Replaces the sampled color wherever it occurs under the pointer.
Contiguous Replaces colors that are contiguous with the color immediately under the pointer.
5 For Tolerance, specify a low percentage to replace colors very similar to the pixel you click, or raise the percentage
to replace a broader range of colors.
6 To define a smooth edge to the areas you correct, select Anti-alias. 7 Choose a foreground color to use to replace the unwanted color. 8 Click the color you want to replace in the image.

Unfortunately, that doesn’t work. Specifically, the Sample Once feature. To see this, first create a small image and paint the top half solid blue and the bottom half solid yellow.

With foreground set to red, hard round brush 40 pixels, select Contiguous, Color, Tolerance 2, Sample Once, click on the blue and dragged to the yellow. Then click on the yellow and dragged to the blue.

In each case, it sputters red right across the color border, completely ignoring the original sampled color, painting uniformly on both the original and new color, ignoring the change in the base color.

Ajusting the tolerance higher or lower does affect the amount of red sputtered but in no case does it vary when you move from blue to yellow, or from yellow to blue. Instead of replacing only the color sampled when you first clicked (Sample Once) it replaces ALL colors with red.

Bruce.
N
noone
Apr 24, 2008
Unfortunately, that doesn’t work. Specifically, the Sample Once feature. To see this, first create a small image and paint the top half solid blue and the bottom half solid yellow.

With foreground set to red, hard round brush 40 pixels, select Contiguous, Color, Tolerance 2, Sample Once, click on the blue and dragged to the yellow. Then click on the yellow and dragged to the blue.
In each case, it sputters red right across the color border, completely ignoring the original sampled color, painting uniformly on both the original and new color, ignoring the change in the base color.
Ajusting the tolerance higher or lower does affect the amount of red sputtered but in no case does it vary when you move from blue to yellow, or from yellow to blue. Instead of replacing only the color sampled when you first clicked (Sample Once) it replaces ALL colors with red.

FYI, I’ve had a couple of exchanges so far with Adobe on the Color Replacement Tool brush. He suggesting that it is MY copy of PSE 6 that is malfunctioning and gave me a procedure to "reset" all the defaults and preferences back to factory spec. It involves renaming 2 files and deleting 5 registry values.

Unfortunately, it didn’t help.

There are 3 relavant Color Replacement Tool settings. Sample Continuous, Sample Once, and Sample Background Swatch. The last 2 don’t work. They act as if Sample Continuous is still selected. Changing to Sample Once or Sample Background doesn’t change the painting behavior at all. It still paints the foreground color over ALL colors. So I replied to Adobe and the ball is back in their court again.

Bruce.
N
noone
Apr 25, 2008
There are 3 relavant Color Replacement Tool settings. Sample Continuous, Sample Once, and Sample Background Swatch. The last 2 don’t work. They act as if Sample Continuous is still selected.

FYI for those interested. Adobe support has now been able to duplicate the problem in PSE 6, so it not just my computer anymore. They are working with their development on a fix.

I have no experience with Adobe support so I don’t know if we can expect a fix before version 7 is eventually released.

Bruce.
N
noone
Apr 25, 2008
FYI for those interested. Adobe support has now been able to duplicate the problem in PSE 6, so it not just my computer anymore. They are working with their development on a fix.

I have no experience with Adobe support so I don’t know if we can expect a fix before version 7 is eventually released.

Ok, they have accepted the bug report and are closing my support case for now. I assume that means I shoudln’t hold my breath.

Bruce.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections