MK
Posted By
Marek_Krzeminski
Dec 19, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m want to use photoshop CS3’s magic wand tool to make a selection of a colored shape on my background layer.

However when I click the mouse, the wand selects EVERYTHING on the layer. it doesn’t matter what my tolerance level is set to. I’ve tried cranking it down to 0 and I still get everything selected.

Is this a bug? or am I doing something wrong?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

WN
Wesley_Norman
Dec 19, 2007
Do you have multiple layers where the layers other than the background contain nothing or a different image? Check to see if you are clicking on the correct layer. I have done this before, so have had the experience.
MK
Marek_Krzeminski
Dec 19, 2007
I only have one layer
JJ
John_Joslin
Dec 19, 2007
Are you using the (co-located) Quick Selection tool by mistake?

If not, try resetting the tool.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jan 30, 2008
You didn’t answer the question. (Neither of you.)

If not, play with the options as Dave said. Or reset the tool.
BK
Brandon_Kettle
Jan 30, 2008
Sorry John. No I am not using that tool, which I have found no good use for.

It’s very strange, zooming in on an area that won’t select makes it work sometimes, and also clicking in a different quadrant of the area has worked, but it is consistently jumping one no matter what I try.
MK
Marek_Krzeminski
Jan 30, 2008
I am not using the Quick Selection tool.
I tried making a selection with Contiguous turned on and off. (neither works) I tried making a selection with ani-alias turned on and off. (again neither works) I tried with tolerance set to 0, 1, 10, 20, 50. All the same, tool doesn’t select properly.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jan 30, 2008
Try resetting the tool.

Where is this troublesome file?
MK
Marek_Krzeminski
Jan 30, 2008
I have reset the tool and also downloaded a bunch of patches for Creative Suite CS3. The magic wand appears to be working again. If it stops working I will post again.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jan 30, 2008
Nobody reads post #3!
MK
Marek_Krzeminski
Jan 30, 2008
Just to clairify, I did reset the tool back in December when it was first suggested but that didn’t fix my problem. I have a feeling that after I installed the patches AND THEN reset the tool, the magic wand started working again.
BK
Brandon_Kettle
Jan 30, 2008
Just because I did not specifically say it, does not mean that I have not reset the tool. I am no novice to Photoshop. Thank you for your suggestions.
P
Phosphor
Jan 30, 2008
This smells strongly of user error–no offense meant. We all have moments of brain freeze.

Wish I had a copy of PS CS3 to check this out. Might be time for a trial period on it…

(Again, no offense meant to the folks having the problems. We all surely know the frustration of software not meeting our expectations, no matter the reason.)
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 30, 2008
Just because I did not specifically say it, does not mean that I have not reset the tool

when someone’s trying to help you and they suggest something, isn’t it a common courtesy to let them know you tried it rather than just ignoring the question? that way they can move on and ask other questions to HELP YOU solve your problem.

not directed at anyone. just a general observation.
BK
Brandon_Kettle
Jan 30, 2008
I apologize. I let my frustration with this problem spill over to the forum. Thank you for your suggestions and help.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Feb 2, 2008

No I am not using that tool, which I have found no good use for.

You should try it, after watching Russell Brown’s video. I find it to be the single most useful addition in CS3. After learning how to use it, I haven’t used the magic wand once. It’s not perfect, but it is extraordinarily useful.
T
ThomasBrand
Sep 26, 2008
Thank you, Terri Foster.

I never would have thought the eyedropper sample size would affect the magic wand. When I read your reply, I remembered having adjusted the sample size for the eyedropper to 101 x 101. I usually don’t adjust it at all, or if I do, I just go from point to 3 x3 or maybe
5 x 5.

When the magic wand began to select practically everything in sight on a given layer I went through every check I knew to no avail. Finally I turned to the forum for the first time. I am glad I did.
F
frunny
Sep 26, 2008
Hi all,
have the same problem here but what do you mean by "Eye Dropper Sample Size"? Sorry, have a none english version. Where do I find that sample size setting?

Thanks for any hint
Andy
F
frunny
Sep 26, 2008
ok, found the Eyedropper tool – but I still have the problem that the magic wand tool works not like I want it – the Anti Aliasing edges are too hard. Tolerance:10. I reseted now all tools – but still the same problem.

Andy
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 26, 2008
It is not clear what you want and what you are actually getting.
MK
Marek_Krzeminski
Sep 26, 2008
After making your initial selection, you can click on the Refine Edge … button in the tool bar to tune your selection

www.marek-knows.com
F
frunny
Sep 26, 2008
thanks Marek, I will try that.

I only wonder why sometimes the selection the magic wand creates is not that soft as I want it – or sometimes not soft at all.

Lets say I select a color and want to remove that color from the image. My image is on layer#1. So I select the color I want to remove with magic wand, then I hit backspace to delete the selected parts. When I look at the edges there is NO anti aliasing done – but thats not all the time. I had that problem some weeks ago, then it was gone and now it is back. I reset my tool settings and tried it – but no luck. The eyedropper settings are ok too.
I have the feeling that it is a problem of some images that I am working on – its really strange.

anyway thanks for your help
Andy
F
Freeagent
Sep 26, 2008
I can’t remember ever having seen any anti-aliasing on the magic wand. I haven’t worried about it since I always feather selections anyway, and with Refine Edge that’s easier than ever.
AO
Andrew_O._Ellis
Oct 2, 2008
Hey Everyone! I’ve solved this. For some reason Magic Wand is tied to your sample size setting on eyedropper. I had mine set high (101 px x 101 px) to average out a large area of color, and was having the same issue as the OP. I’ve set it to point sample and my magic wand now works correctly.
TM
Tazzy_M.
Oct 24, 2008
I may have found a solution to the magic wand problem – try clicking on the first box next to the magic wand tool in the top toolbar (if you hover over the boxes, the first one will say ‘new selection’). It’s possible you may have it set to one of the others (‘add to selection’… etc)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections