Damaged / Corrupt Files

Posted By
Dec 18, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Many of my files -PSD’s; TIF’s; JPG’s; NEF’s- have somehow become corrupt. Is there ANYTHING out there that’ll re write whatever data has been been corrupt?

I am getting the following CS2 message with PSD’s; TIF’s & NEF’s: "Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop document."

And the following with JPG’s:
"Could not complete your request because a JPEG marker segment length is too short (the file may be truncated or incomplete)."

Seems as though the data at the start or end of the files has somehow gone missing.

Please help! This represents MONTHS of work.

Also, any advise as to how this could have happened?
Very strange as some files on the Hard Drive are fine.
So can’t be a virus as that would have surely attacked all files?

I did transfer a huge amount of data from this Hard Drive to another system via a 1Gbps network, before I was aware of this disaster. System showed no hiccup during transfer so assumed all transferred OK.
Could this trasfer have corrupted the data on the source Hard Drive? I don’t see how as it was only reading, not writing…

I’ve tried opening the files with other apps (Thumbs +; Capture One; Browsers; IrfanView-(which reports "Can’t read file header".)

All corrupt files show the expected file sizes so the majority of the data is there.

This is doing my head in & panic is very quickly setting in. Really hope someone can help.

Thanks
Peter

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JJ
John_Joslin
Dec 18, 2007
If you do a google search on "Disk Doctor" you will get a lot of links. Some might be helpful.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections