EK
Posted By
Ed Kearns
Dec 1, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have PE 4.0.1 for the Mac. I scanned a number of 35-mm color slides, and corrected many of them with PE. I wanted to print them from a machine at a Target store. I put the images (all TIFF) on a CD. Most of them wouldn’t display. When I came back and studied the ones that wouldn’t display (or print), I found they were 16-bit images I’d worked on in PE. Those I’d worked on that got converted to 8-bit (PE recommended it for some, I don’t remember why) would display fine. Also one which I’d worked on with GraphicConverter which was saved as 8-bit would display fine.

Does anyone understand this? Do I need to convert them all to JPEG to display and print at a kiosk, or else 8-bit TIFF?

Ed

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Plaincity
Dec 1, 2007
"Ed Kearns" wrote in message
I have PE 4.0.1 for the Mac. I scanned a number of 35-mm color slides, and corrected many of them with PE. I wanted to print them from a machine at a Target store. I put the images (all TIFF) on a CD. Most of them wouldn’t display. When I came back and studied the ones that wouldn’t display (or print), I found they were 16-bit images I’d worked on in PE. Those I’d worked on that got converted to 8-bit (PE recommended it for some, I don’t remember why) would display fine. Also one which I’d worked on with GraphicConverter which was saved as 8-bit would display fine.
Does anyone understand this? Do I need to convert them all to JPEG to display and print at a kiosk, or else 8-bit TIFF?

Ed

I’ve had problems at the Kiosk with other than JPEG files. I think most of the Kiosks want JPEGs. I have also learned that it is easier to upload them to the store’s site and have them printed for me to pick up when I get there. Wal-Mart does them in an hour in most any store in the country. Great for sharing with friends and family who live far away. Send them a link and let them print and purchase the ones they want.
N
Not4wood
Dec 2, 2007
I agree with Plaincity;

In the area that we live in, all of the Photo printers including Kinkos all take JPG’s. Costco, Walmart and the others all take shots sent via email and will have them ready for you to pick up.

If you insist on anything else besides JPG’s you might have to try an Online Printing House. I have tested 2 with some prints (all JPG), they have very good quality and also great prices.

www.mpix.com
http://www.elcocolor.com/

They have sent out the finished products via UPS and I’ve received them in 2 working days, but that also depends on where your located.

Not4wood

Ed
P
Plaincity
Dec 2, 2007
Another place I use when I need very high quality is:
http://www.adorama.com/
Easy upload and organization, reasonable prices, especially on 8X10 and larger (they have sales now and then, too) and quick turn around.

"Not4wood" wrote in message
I agree with Plaincity;

In the area that we live in, all of the Photo printers including Kinkos all take JPG’s. Costco, Walmart and the others all take shots sent via email and will have them ready for you to pick up.

If you insist on anything else besides JPG’s you might have to try an Online Printing House. I have tested 2 with some prints (all JPG), they have very good quality and also great prices.

www.mpix.com
http://www.elcocolor.com/

They have sent out the finished products via UPS and I’ve received them in 2 working days, but that also depends on where your located.
Not4wood

I have PE 4.0.1 for the Mac. I scanned a number of 35-mm color slides, and corrected many of them with PE. I wanted to print them from a machine at a
Target store. I put the images (all TIFF) on a CD. Most of them wouldn’t display. When I came back and studied the ones that wouldn’t display (or print), I found they were 16-bit images I’d worked on in PE. Those I’d worked on that got converted to 8-bit (PE recommended it for some, I don’t
remember why) would display fine. Also one which I’d worked on with GraphicConverter which was saved as 8-bit would display fine.

Ed

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections