Increasing Scratch Disk Capacity Limitation?

CV
Posted By
Charles V
Oct 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The size of my primary scratch disk is 120 gig —- however when photoshop scratch memory, applied to this drive exceeds 2 gigs, photoshop advises primary scratch disk memory is maxed out and recommends that I need to remove unneeded files to provide more scratch disk capacity. Win2k file manager shows that I have 111 gigs of remaining space on this drive when this occurrs.

I’m using Photoshop version 4.

How can I increase this apparent 2 gig memory limit on my scratch disk?

TIA for any suggestions.

CV

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JW
JP White
Oct 18, 2003
Charles V wrote:

The size of my primary scratch disk is 120 gig —- however when photoshop scratch memory, applied to this drive exceeds 2 gigs, photoshop advises primary scratch disk memory is maxed out and recommends that I need to remove unneeded files to provide more scratch disk capacity. Win2k file manager shows that I have 111 gigs of remaining space on this drive when this occurrs.

TIA for any suggestions.

CV

I know that the FAT(32) file system is limited to individual file sizes of 2GB. A disk partition and volumes can be bigger but a single file cannot. If you can convert your disk to NTFS then that should remove this limitation. If you already have an NTFS disk volume then maybe it’s PS limiting the file size.

JP
M
Madsen
Oct 18, 2003
JP White wrote:

I know that the FAT(32) file system is limited to individual file sizes of 2GB.

I’ve always thought that FAT32 support file sizes up to 4 GB. FAT16 has a file size limitation of 2 GB, as far as I know.

Photoshop can’t use more than 2 GB RAM and that’s probably the reason why it can’t write a scratch file larger than 2 GB either. You won’t get a larger scratch file size even if you tell Photoshop to use a NTFS disk as the scratch disk. When it reaches 2 GB, it creates a new scratch file, even if the scratch disk is NTFS.

Crossposted to: alt.graphics.photoshop and comp.graphics.apps.photoshop. Followup-To: comp.graphics.apps.photoshop.

Regards
Madsen.
EG
Eric Gill
Oct 19, 2003
"Charles V" < THIS.net> wrote in
news:Y%_jb.683$:

1) More scratch disks.

2) Photoshop CS.
CV
Charles V
Oct 19, 2003
All of my drives are NTFS and I have both a primary and secondary scratch disk specified, both with lots of excess available space. When the primary disk scratch file reaches 2 GB, a new/second temp scratch file is established in the secondary drive —- and when it caps out at 2 GB, photoshop issues the error message that the secondary scratch disk is filled-up.

JP White wrote:
When it reaches 2 GB, it creates a new
scratch file, even if the scratch disk is NTFS.

I assume that you mean that Photoshop creates a new scratch file in the secondary scratch disk, when the primary disk file reaches 2 GB —- not a third new temp file in the secondary, when the second temp file maxes out at 2 GB.

I’m only encountering this problem while working on a special application —- so my question is more academic than representing a common problem. However, thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.

Charles

"Thomas Madsen" wrote in message
JP White wrote:

I know that the FAT(32) file system is limited to individual file sizes of 2GB.

I’ve always thought that FAT32 support file sizes up to 4 GB. FAT16 has a file size limitation of 2 GB, as far as I know.

Photoshop can’t use more than 2 GB RAM and that’s probably the reason why it can’t write a scratch file larger than 2 GB either. You won’t get a larger scratch file size even if you tell Photoshop to use a NTFS disk as the scratch disk. When it reaches 2 GB, it creates a new scratch file, even if the scratch disk is NTFS.

Crossposted to: alt.graphics.photoshop and comp.graphics.apps.photoshop. Followup-To: comp.graphics.apps.photoshop.

Regards
Madsen.
CC
Chris Cox
Oct 20, 2003
You REALLY need a newer version of Photoshop…..

The limit in Photoshop 7 is about 4 Exabytes of scratch, and the limit in Photoshop CS is about 64 Exabytes.

Chris

In article <Y%_jb.683$>,
Charles V wrote:

TIA for any suggestions.

CV
M
Madsen
Oct 20, 2003
Charles V wrote:

JP White wrote:
When it reaches 2 GB, it creates a new scratch file, even if the scratch disk is NTFS.

No, I wrote that. 🙂

I assume that you mean that Photoshop creates a new scratch file in the secondary scratch disk, when the primary disk file reaches 2 GB —- not a third new temp file in the secondary, when the second temp file maxes out at 2 GB.

I haven’t experimented with a secondary scratch disk because I don’t need it at the moment. I have only 1 primary scratch disk defined in Photoshop and when the size of the scratch file reaches 2 GB, Photoshop creates a new file on the same drive, no matter if the scratch disk is FAT32 or NTFS. I guess it keeps doing that until the drive is full, but I have never experienced that.

See this: <http://home18.inet.tele.dk/madsen/photoshop/scratch.png>. (236 KB).

Regards
Madsen.
CV
Charles V
Oct 20, 2003
Subject: Re: Increasing Scratch Disk Capacity Limitation? Date: Sunday, October 19, 2003 8:35 PM

Thanks Madsen, for the
<http://home18.inet.tele.dk/madsen/photoshop/scratch.png>. That’s what I was hoping would be provided in my version of photoshop —- but guess I will have to upgrade to a newer version, even though I’m otherwise totally satisfied with my current version.

Sorry for my error in credits, re your prior comments.

Charles

"Thomas Madsen" wrote in message
Charles V wrote:

JP White wrote:
When it reaches 2 GB, it creates a new scratch file, even if the scratch disk is NTFS.

No, I wrote that. 🙂

I haven’t experimented with a secondary scratch disk because I don’t need it at the moment. I have only 1 primary scratch disk defined in Photoshop and when the size of the scratch file reaches 2 GB, Photoshop creates a new file on the same drive, no matter if the scratch disk is FAT32 or NTFS. I guess it keeps doing that until the drive is full, but I have never experienced that.

See this: <http://home18.inet.tele.dk/madsen/photoshop/scratch.png>. (236 KB).

Regards
Madsen.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections