OU
Posted By
Olaf_Ulrich
Dec 15, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using Windows XP SP2 with all current hotfixes. My PC has a single CRT monitor attached, an Athlon 2400+ CPU inside, and 1 GB of RAM. The Nvidia graphic card has 64 MB. I have Photoshop CS3 Standard 10.0.1 with Camera Raw 4.3.1 and Bridge CS3 2.1.1 (and all the other CS3 updates, too).

Whenever I copy new filters (i. e. .8BF files) to ~\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Plug-Ins\Filters (or actually to a new subdirectory therein), snapshots as well as the Lab mode cease to work properly. When taking a snapshot, the snapshot’s thumbnail in the History palette is pure black; so is the first snapshot automatically taken on opening an image. When switching into Lab mode, both the image as well as its Lab thumbnail in the Channels palette are pure black (strangely, the L channel, the a channel, and the b channel are not black but correct). When deleting the new filters from the Filters directory, both snapshots and Lab mode will work properly again. This has nothing to do with the kind of filters or with applying the filters. If they are just sitting there, things go haywire.

Another way to fix the issue (besides deleting the filters) is to ‘repair’ the Photoshop installation after installing the filters, i. e. to re-run the Photoshop setup procedure without prior de-installation. It takes about half an hour to complete, and afterwards Photoshop will accept the new filters without screwing up snapshots or Lab mode.

Resetting the preferences does not fix the issue.

Has someone experienced the same? By the way, the problem was there in Photoshop 10.0, too (but not in CS2).

— Olaf

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections