Posted By
Carol_Varveris
Dec 14, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Dave Milbut:
Thanks so much for responding . . but, unfortunately does NOT work again! I did exactly as you suggested in that I made a selection fir so that I could get a quick mask. When I double-clicked on quick mask in the tools pallet, NO options appear that say "Paint on selections" nor "paint on mask". The options is get are "Color indicates Mask Area or Selected area" and you have to chose one. The only thing you are actually choosing is whether you want the color to appear on the mask you chose or inversely to appear on the remainder of the object. The "black" brush remains the same and does not change.

If I do not learn how to make minute selections (so that I will be able to act on only tiny tiny areas) I will not be able to use this program after spending a million dollars for it. It looks like Adobe could make something so fundamental (available in Elements) available here.

Could you help me further . . . PLEASE !

Thank you.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CV
Carol_Varveris
Dec 14, 2007
Burton: Thank you for your response.

I would like to know how to make a suggestion to Adobe . . It seems that something so simple and something so needed (yes, I need to select minute areas all the time – I refinish photos bit by bit by bit and I need absolute control over tiny areas) would be availabel in a program like Photoshop and not only available in Elements. Having to "quick select" stuff and have it jump in areas where you don’t want it, to having to go back and forth between adding and subtracting areas of selection (especially on hair strands) is maddening ! !

Are you able to tell me how to make suggestions (very strong ones) to Adobe.

Are you able to help with my problem until Adobe adds this simplistic tool?

I appreciate any help you might give and thank you.
Carol
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 14, 2007
Color indicates … Selected area

that’s the one. and you don’t have to make a selection first. with that option selected, every pixel of black you paint (remember to use the pencil for non-anti-aliased painting.) will be selected.

Are you able to tell me how to make suggestions (very strong ones) to Adobe.

feature request area, top of this forum. here’s a link:
<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.eeadf6e/>
JJ
John_Joslin
Dec 14, 2007
Carol

If you are selecting individual pixels to isolate hair strands you are missing some of the most powerful selection methods avilable in Photoshop. Take a look at this tutorial as an example of one method of many, all better than what you are doing.

Selecting Hair and Fine Detail in Photoshop

< http://www.graphic-design.com/Photoshop/remove_backgrounds/i ndex.html>

For more, look here: <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.1de5f905.3bb80e5d/7>

If you still want to use the "Standing up in a hammock" method of selecting individual pixels you can do this more easily – simply zoom right in to the hairy area and pick pixels with the magic wand set to a low tolerance or use an unfeathered lasso tool.

As you can see, there is no need to make a feature request!
CV
Carol_Varveris
Dec 14, 2007
John:
I did look at the tutorial and it was awesome. Thank you.

No, I do NOT want to stand up in a hammock – that was my reason for posting the first message here.

Carol
JJ
John_Joslin
Dec 14, 2007
🙂

It seems like a lot of work but when you’ve gone through it once, it’s not too bad.

It’s worth buying Katrin Eismann’s books if you want to learn more about masking or retouching
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Dec 16, 2007
I’ll second John’s recommendation of the Eismann books.
CV
Carol_Varveris
May 19, 2008
Adobe Photshop CS3 Extended:
I want to do a simple thing on a plain blank page. I want to fade a color from dark to light all the way down the page.

Is there anyone out there who can point me to the topic ANYWHERE !

Thank you,
Carol Varveris
RB
Rudy Benner
May 19, 2008
wrote in message
Adobe Photshop CS3 Extended:
I want to do a simple thing on a plain blank page. I want to fade a color from dark to light all the way down the page.

Is there anyone out there who can point me to the topic ANYWHERE !
Thank you,
Carol Varveris

You mean like a gradient?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections