PL
Posted By
peter_larsen
Dec 10, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need to customize the image size you get when you go in Menu and chooses new – the default size shown in the dialog box.

Have tried making a new preset, but it only adds a new preset to the "drop down" menu.

How do you change the default size?

We are talking about Photoshop CS3 (10.0.1) on Windows XP.

look forward
Peter

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JJ
John_Joslin
Dec 10, 2007
Mine keeps the last size selected.
P
Phosphor
Dec 10, 2007
I know how to find that file on my Mac, but I don’t know how to get to it under Windows.

For Photoshop on the Mac, it’s buried within the application package. It’s a common text file named: "Default New Doc Sizes.txt"

Make sure you have "show hidden files" enabled, and search your main Photoshop folder for exactly that filename.

It’s pretty easy to edit as long as you follow the formatting and syntax. If you find it, and decide you want to edit it, MAKE SURE you work on a COPY of "Default New Doc Sizes.txt".
P
Phosphor
Dec 10, 2007
Oh, and what John said.

Also, if you have copied an image to your clipboard, when you bring up the "New Document" dialogue box, the Width & Height values for that clipboard image should already be entered in the dimensions fields.
P
Phosphor
Dec 10, 2007
Also, part 2:

I’m not entirely sure, but I think the "Default Image Size" is flexible, and is calculated according to your monitor size, and maybe some other factors. I base this on the following statements from the "Default New Doc Sizes.txt":; Default document size — Photoshop will calculate sizes
; based on the current system locale. This label indicates ; where in the menu the default size will go

"Default Photoshop Size"
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 10, 2007
don’t change that file by hand! you’ll get errors "reading text global resources" if you don’t do it right. do it via the file> new dialog. when you create them there it’ll save to the file.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bb58a70>
P
Phosphor
Dec 10, 2007
" don’t change that file by hand!"

Well, you can add/edit the "Default New Doc Sizes.txt" file. But you just have to be careful, and edit a copy until you’re sure it’ll work. Manual editing is the only way you can create a new user-defined document preset which includes guidelines when you open it. Here’s an example from my own file:"PhosTemplate (with guides)" 800 600 pixels screen dpi RGB 8 1.0 white "working" 20.0 h 80.0 h 20.0 v 80.0 v XD XD XD
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 10, 2007
ok if you HAVE to change it by hand, make sure you save it as plain text (not unicode!) unicode chars will mess it up. either edit with notepad or if you use wordpad make sure you select the file type "Text Document – MSDOS format" when saving it.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Dec 11, 2007
No, it’s not an MSDOS or ANSI text document, it’s Unicode — each char takes up two bytes; moreover, it doesn’t use CR/LF (0x0D0A) to end lines, which is the MSDOS way, but just LF (0x0A), which is the Unix way. Take a look in a hex editor. Definitely save a backup if you are going to edit it.
P
Phosphor
Dec 11, 2007
Editing the file isn’t rocket surgery…if I can figure it out and do it successfully, it has to be pretty easy.

You open (a copy of) it in a simple text editor in its native format, edit, then save in the native format.
L
LenHewitt
Dec 11, 2007
It’s actually easier to do on a Mac than on a Windows machine, Phos.

Most simple Windows text editors (specifically Notepad) will neither recognize the CR as a line break (so display a continuous unbroken single line of text) nor save line breaks as a simple CR without the LF.

More capable editors such as Textpad require preferences to be set to handle UNIX line endings correctly and retain them on saving.
JJ
John_Joslin
Dec 11, 2007
In other words – unless you understand exactly what you’re doing – leave it alone!
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Dec 11, 2007
The line break is actually a LF (0x0A), not a CR (0x0D). Windows typically ignores the LF if there’s a CR, which causes a new line. Unix-based files typically use the LF only.

And, yes, the file looks like sh*t in Notepad. Wordpad will recognize the line breaks properly and also read it as a Unicode file. I’m not confident it will save it properly, though. For stuff like that I use a java-based programmer’s editor, jedit.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections