Posted By
Steviedee
May 19, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
when I "export as new files" to my USB2 flashdisk it takes about (realistic estimate) 50 times longer than when I export to an hdd, or even a mapped network drive, now wireless network is like 50odd kbps and USB2 is arround 200kbps? it takes quicker to copy the files from a folder to the flashdisk than to the mapped drive.
so I don’t understand why it takes SO long to the flashdisk. Any ideas or clues or tips?
Thanks
Steven

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RG
Roy G
May 19, 2007
"Steviedee" wrote in message
Hi,
when I "export as new files" to my USB2 flashdisk it takes about (realistic estimate) 50 times longer than when I export to an hdd, or even a mapped network drive, now wireless network is like 50odd kbps and USB2 is arround 200kbps? it takes quicker to copy the files from a folder to the flashdisk than to the mapped drive.
so I don’t understand why it takes SO long to the flashdisk. Any ideas or clues or tips?
Thanks
Steven
Hi.

There are considerable differences in speed between USB 2 Flash Drives. I have 2, of the same make and model, but one is almost twice as fast as the other.

I do not understand why you would want to use this "Export to" facility, it is very much simpler, and as you now know faster. to just copy from your HDD to the Flash Drive.

Speeds for USB 2 are alleged to be faster than
Firewire, but when you try reading a large file, you will find that Firewire is quicker. Publicised Speeds have to be taken with pinch of salt, because there are different ways of measuring them.

Roy G
S
Steviedee
May 19, 2007
well, I’m preparing files for a presentation, so I search till I get a good ser of results, lets say by camera medel, geo-location and face tags…
then I export the results (that are saved all over the PC) to a single folder to take with me on my flashdisk.
and as I say, it’s about 50 times (not exagerating) faster to export to a "tmp" dir on my hdd and then copy to the flash than export direst to the flash.
it’s not a huge problem, just an extra irritation. I sat up till 2am last night exporting and sittig and waiting for hours… so this morning I did some tests, and after that did more work than I did the whole evening in a few mins…
I see APE% makes a TMP file in ur temp directory, as well as in the folder it’s saving to that stay there untill the file is completely copied.
now I know if u have 1 "windows copy" running to a USB device u get descent speeds, but as soon as u have two running simalteneously the speed drops to WAY below half – if that makes any sense – 🙂 So I don’t know if that’s maybe why, because APE5 is writing 2 files – the real one and a tmp simaltaneously?
But it’s even slower that I would expect for even that. :-s it was UNBARABLE 🙂
Steven

On May 19, 2:09 pm, "Roy G" wrote:
"Steviedee" wrote in message

news:> Hi,
Thanks
Steven

Hi.

There are considerable differences in speed between USB 2 Flash Drives. I have 2, of the same make and model, but one is almost twice as fast as the other.

I do not understand why you would want to use this "Export to" facility, it is very much simpler, and as you now know faster. to just copy from your HDD to the Flash Drive.

Speeds for USB 2 are alleged to be faster than
Firewire, but when you try reading a large file, you will find that Firewire is quicker. Publicised Speeds have to be taken with pinch of salt, because there are different ways of measuring them.

Roy G

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections