Is there an easy way to remove feathering?

EA
Posted By
Eric_A_Hendrickson
Dec 5, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there – I am running an action on an extracted image of person. The problem is that part of the action creates a blurred copy of the original, which is then blended with the original; then the layers are merged.

This gives me a final extracted picture that has a feathered effect (due to the background gausson blur step in the action).

Does anyone have any ideas on removing the "feathered effect" around the extracted image?

Thanks!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EA
Eric_A_Hendrickson
Dec 5, 2007
I’ thinking that somehow deleting all colored pixels that have adjacent transparent pixels, might do the trick. Would that work? Can photoshop even do that?
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 5, 2007
how about taking the gaus blur step out of the action. or put a pause on that step so you can manually adjust the feathering each time you run it?
EA
Eric_A_Hendrickson
Dec 5, 2007
Thanks Dave, I’m not sure I understand. My original image layer must be blended with the blurred layer to achieve the final effect. I still need the blurred image, but not the ENTIRE blurred image. I only need the portion of the blurred image that "fits" within the dimensions of the origianl.

Does that make sense?
H
Ho
Dec 5, 2007
Can’t you place the extracted person on his own layer and blend as needed?
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 5, 2007
ut not the ENTIRE blurred image. I only need the portion of the blurred image that "fits" within the dimensions of the origianl.

what ho said first. put a loose selection around the individual. copy and paste to new layer.

int he actions palette, select your action and open it up (actions can’t be in button mode. if they are, turn that off in the flyout menu in the action palette). place a pause on step (might be called toggle dialog or something) in your action on the gauss blur step. that will cause the gauss blur dialog to appear. you can adjust the blur amount there. you might also want to ADD another step right after the gauss dialog step. in that step add Image> adjustments> levels. adjust the levels to give you finer control over the feathering. that step too should be set to show the dialog when running the action.

this action i wrote is a little outdated, but the start of it (before adding the 3 adjustment layers) shows the steps in detail.

<http://aikodude.tripod.com/MaskNAdjusts.atn>

to summarize, for feathering:
you should select the person/thing to blend.
copy and paste to new layer.
crtl-click that layer to select all pixels.
add a layer mask to that layer.
selecting the layer mask, run gauss blur (to taste)
run levels (to taste)

between the original selection, the gauss blur and the levels commands you should have a huge amount of control over the feathering of your subject.

a final note: i usually feather as close to but not overlapping the image, then use a soft tipped eraser brush varrying opacity from 100% to say 30% to fine tune the blending even more.
EA
Eric_A_Hendrickson
Dec 5, 2007
Hi Ho – I do this

Layer 1 – extracted image (extracted person surrounded by transparent pixels) Layer 2 – duplicate of layer 1

I need to blur layer 2 at a radius of 16 pixels. Then blend layer 2 with layer 1, which creates a feather effect around the extracted person.
EA
Eric_A_Hendrickson
Dec 5, 2007
sorry, my last post was prior to reading your post, Dave.

Let me digest what you said, and get back to you.
B
Buko
Dec 5, 2007
use smart filters

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections