JS
Posted By
John_S
Dec 4, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently installed Photoshop CS3 onto my laptop, which also has Photoshop 7. The Levels used to work fine in PS7, but since I installed PS CS3, the Levels function does not seem to be working properly in both programs.

What happens is, for example, I’m trying to make a starfield (using a black backround, making Noise, then using Levels to get the right brightness proportions). However, when I use Levels to cut down the noise a bit, the preview will appear the way I want it, but once I hit ‘OK’ the image layer snaps back to the way it originally was with tons of noise, except that ALL the noise is exaggerated/brightened, etc.. It’s like the Levels function isn’t even working.

Any idea what might be causing this? It doesn’t make any sense…. Thanks!
John

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Dec 4, 2007
John,

First: while editing, do you view the image at 100%? Particularly noise is hard to judge at anything under 100% because things that have a size of one pixel then tend to not get mapped in a preview.

Then, when you talk about Brightness, I would use Curves, or at least the middle (Gamma) slider in Levels.

The end sliders in Levels clip the ends of the histogram.

Rob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections