BE
Posted By
Bob_Eveleigh
Nov 4, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Have just bought a new PC and am going through the usual trauma of transferring everything over. Both PCs are Windows XP Pro, plenty of hard drive, RAM and processor capacity. I’ve used CS2 for a year or so and had got everything appearing as I wanted under old machine. I deactivated under old PC as per instructions incl. clicking on "keep old settings" which I thought was the thing to do.

I’ve now re-loaded software and all files back on to new machine. Although I can display individual images (saved as PSDs) in CS2 if I open each one individually, they don’t open automatically in my browser – is that the right word, it’s what you’re in when you go into My Computer then C Drive, then folders and files. JPEGs seem to display straight away.

Any RAW files don’t open automatically in Bridge and Bridge itself now seems configured differently.

Also, none of my settings (like inches not cms, ruler displays etc) have not transferred over.

Please help – what did I do wrong and more importantly how do I correct for the future by getting back to what I had before?

Many thanks,

Bob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Nov 4, 2007
Hi Bob,

When you choose the "keep my settings" option, that means they will be preserved on the existing PC so they are available to use if you reinstall PS CS2 there. On the new PC, you will either need to rebuild your preferences or transfer them over from the first system. The easiest thing to do is to copy the following 2 directory trees from the old system to the new one, allowing them to overwrite whatever was created for the newer installation:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Adobe\Bridge

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\9.0\Adobe Photoshop CS2 Settings

I don’t know if restoring these settings will affect the default actions for opening files, but I’d not really expect that. It may be that you’ll need to define those yourself. I thought selecting which file types are handled by PS/Bridge vs. other programs was part of the PS installation process. But, as you have PS installed, another relatively easy way is to right-click on a particular file type, select Open With, choose the program you want to handle that file type, and make sure "always use this program" is checked. Repeat that for each file type of interest.

Regards,

Daryl
BE
Bob_Eveleigh
Nov 4, 2007
Hi Daryl,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

For the moment I’m just concentrating on trying to see my images as thumbnails when I open the files just after going into My Computer, then the C Drive, then the appropriate folder/file. If I may, I’ll come back on the other issues later.

Going via My Computer as above, what I get at present is lots of thumbnails showing the CS2 logo plus the file details e.g. the names & ref nos. I gave them. The type is described as Adobe Photoshop Image. I’ve tried what you said. When I go into Open With, it displays about 4 options (incl. CS2) plus Choose Program. I click on Choose Program then it gives lots more options so I also tick Always Use Selected Program etc and at the same time I select CS2. It opens up the image in CS2 but when I go back to the file of separate thumbnails they still display as before i.e. just the CS2 logos. I used to get miniature versions of the images themselves.

Sorry if I’m being a bit slow here but can you or anyone else help further?

Bob
BE
Bob_Eveleigh
Nov 4, 2007
Thanks Bob,

Well if that’s the only option I’ll do that. But I used the same CS2 software disk on both machines. Would an automatic update have possibly happened without my knowing when I reinstalled and re-activated on my new PC?

Bob
BL
Bob Levine
Nov 4, 2007
You apparently had an earlier version of Photoshop installed on your other machine. The ability to view PSD thumbnails was dropped sometime ago because of potential problems that could cause data loss.

It’s been discussed many times along with some hacks. Search the forum for psicon.dll.

Note: should you decide to use the hacks discussed, you do risk losing data. Do so at your own risk. I recommend using Bridge instead.

Bob
BE
Bob_Eveleigh
Nov 4, 2007
I’ve now had a chance to read through the link Bob posted about psicon.dll – I’ll certainly leave well alone.

Now I find I can’t get my all of my RAW images displayed in Bridge. Some show their created dates and when I double click it, it tries to go straight into Photoshop without my being able to manipulate RAW in Bridge. Others show today’s date (which is when I transferred everything over) and they won’t open at all!

I suspect I may need to unload and then reload CS2 (and maybe the files?) again. But before I do so, does anyone know of these problems?

Thanks again for the help so far.

Bob
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Nov 4, 2007
Did you copy your image files over from the old machine to the new machine?
BE
Bob_Eveleigh
Nov 5, 2007
Michael,

Yes via a separate LaCie hard drive.

Other than ensuring I’ve got the right files on my new PC was there something behind your question?

I’ve just realised that I need to download a later version of CS2 Raw as my Canon camera was a newer model than the edition of CS2 that I have. That should solve the problem of not being able to see my images in Bridge but it still doesn’t answer the Q about manipulating them in Bridge. I think I’ll uninstal and then reinstal CS2.

Bob

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections