problem with Wacom tablet in Photoshop (CS3)

NS
Posted By
Niek_Sprakel
Nov 3, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello.

When using a Wacom tablet (Intuos 3) in Photoshop (CS3) and drawing straight lines using the shift key (while being zoomed in beyond 100%, like at 200% or 300%), occasionally, it will suddenly scroll/jump erratically, despite not being anywhere near the edge of the screen area. Does anyone else have this problem or know how to resolve this issue?

I’ve recorded a little clip that illustrates the problem. Now in this instance, the problem occurs while being near the bottom edge of the screen. However, it sometimes also happens when I’m nowhere near the edge of the screen, but since that happens only rarely and unpredictably, I’ve showed the exact same phenomenon as it occurs while drawing a line near the edge of the screen because it will happen more reliably in that case (allowing me to record the phenomenon). Now I can understand that scrolling near the edge of the screen can be useful, but suddenly jumping down so far as can be seen in the video clip seems more like an annoying bug.

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUa_EhaiaSI>

Kind regards and thanks in advance for any feedback, Niek

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DE
Dave_Evanson
Nov 3, 2007
A long while ago (well over a year I think) there were some posts about Wacom tablets being susceptible to RF interference from monitors. Users got round the problem by positioning the table further away from the monitor. I have never seen this with my Wacom but it could be worth trying the tablet in a different position on your desk.
NS
Niek_Sprakel
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks for the suggestion. However, I’m using a flat TFT screen and it’s over 30 cm (about 1 ft) away from the tablet, so I doubt that can be the cause of the problem.
D
dcole
Nov 4, 2007
Have a look at the Intuos3 user forum on the Wacom website. There were a few complaints about this problem – mainly in the context of Vista I think. I had it for a while myself. I can’t remember exactly how I fixed it but it was probably one or more of the following –

updating the Wacom driver, updating the vga card driver (Nvidia in my case), and disabling the Pen and Input Devices in the Control Panel.

There were others suggested by Wacom.

Good luck

David
NS
Niek_Sprakel
Nov 4, 2007
Thanks, I’ll ask on the Wacom forum as well.
I’m already using the latest driver (WacomTablet_605-7) for the Intuos 3 tablet under Vista. The graphics driver (Intel 945GM) is probably up to date since I’m working on a Dell laptop that had Vista installed when I bought it.
I see various settings for ‘Pen and Input Devices’ in the Control Panel, but no way to disable it completely.
D
dcole
Nov 4, 2007
"I see various settings for ‘Pen and Input Devices’ in the Control Panel, but no way to disable it completely"

Quite right. It’s the individual settings you need to disable. Have a look at the Intuos forum at the Wacom site and check under "Vista".

David

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections