Best brush for a beard (say a Van Dyke)?

B
Posted By
bob733
Nov 2, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have downloaded David Nagels hair brush preset (at least the only one I know of), but I am unsure if it contains a decent brush to make a short beard on a person. I have tried a bunch of them and so far nada.

Does anyone know 1), if any of the Nagel brushes would do this well, 2) if so, what is the exact brush within his presets would you recogmmend and 3) what is the URL for the brush preset to download (in case I have a different one).

Thanks in advance.

Bob

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Nov 2, 2007
It’s not so much about the brush…there are Nagel’s, and there are many others. Shoot, you could use a simple small brush with settings tweaked from a common round brush.

It has more to do with patience, and in knowing how to lay down layers of color and strokes.

I’ve never tried it, but there’s no doubt it would take me a long time to learn the techniques well enough to make it look good.

I’d call on my old pal Google for help:
<http://urlx.org/google.com/06c93>

I sure hope you’re using a Wacom!
P
Phosphor
Nov 2, 2007
And, re-reading your thread title, I have to wonder if you really think that the style of facial hair is even relevant to the mastering the techniques necessary?

Can you draw a realistic hair-do or beard-do with conventional materials, such as pencil on paper?

THAT’S the real question.
S
stevent
Nov 3, 2007
You should check out some of the 3D forums on tutorials about creating hair on figures – renderosity.com has a few (Poser users do this a lot).
B
bob733
Nov 4, 2007
thanks for the tips will follow up on the ones I have not already been to

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 5, 2007
there’s also copy and paste from an image with the style of facial hair you want to a new image… but that raises it’s own issues with blending and angles and such. with practice though, that can make a pretty good quick and dirty, fun modification to an image!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections