DA
Posted By
David Avera
Aug 13, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My wife has a very large (10,000+ images) PSE catalog on her c: drive with most of the pictures stored in the default location(s) which are pretty deep into the directory structure. Her c: drive is almost completely full and we are faced with "what now?" The computer is becoming somewhat unstable and many operations are becoming quite slow. I understand that the catalog is really a MS Access db and stores the path location to all images and collections ie. most entries are "c:\………"

My (our) question is, how can we move the catalog and images onto another drive and preserve all that she has built in this catalog? Is there any way to do this?

For example, if we bought another hard drive, call it f:, is there a way we could copy the catalog files and image files to the new drive and have it preserve all the collections?

Thanks in advance for the help.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
Charley
Aug 15, 2006
Yes, but it’s not going to be easy. You will likely need to spend hours doing it. Before you start moving them you need to make yourself a map of all of their locations and then "copy" them (don’t move them) to the new drive. Copy is a less dangerous process because you don’t erase anything until you are sure that the copy process worked correctly. A deep understanding of the workings of your catalog program will be needed too. Maybe it has an "export" function and you could then "import" them into a duplicate copy of the program on the new drive.

It’s not for the faint of heart. Good Luck.

Charley

"David Avera" wrote in message
My wife has a very large (10,000+ images) PSE catalog on her c: drive with most of the pictures stored in the default location(s) which are pretty
deep
into the directory structure. Her c: drive is almost completely full and
we
are faced with "what now?" The computer is becoming somewhat unstable and many operations are becoming quite slow. I understand that the catalog is really a MS Access db and stores the path location to all images and collections ie. most entries are "c:\………"
My (our) question is, how can we move the catalog and images onto another drive and preserve all that she has built in this catalog? Is there any
way
to do this?

For example, if we bought another hard drive, call it f:, is there a way
we
could copy the catalog files and image files to the new drive and have it preserve all the collections?

PD
postman delivers
Aug 15, 2006
My wife has a very large (10,000+ images) PSE catalog on her c: drive with most of the pictures stored in the default location(s) which are pretty deep into the directory structure. Her c: drive is almost completely full and we are faced with "what now?" The computer is becoming somewhat unstable and many operations are becoming quite slow. I understand that the catalog is really a MS Access db and stores the path location to all images and collections ie. most entries are "c:\………"
My (our) question is, how can we move the catalog and images onto another drive and preserve all that she has built in this catalog? Is there any way to do this?

For example, if we bought another hard drive, call it f:, is there a way we could copy the catalog files and image files to the new drive and have it preserve all the collections?

David,

What version of the Adobe, Photoshop elements are you using?

I have had horrid luck with any version of the adobe album software. I used ACDSee for the longest time, but several years ago switched to Compupic because of its fast thumbnail creations and it allowed me to create duplicate photos file names, in different directories.

I have always backed up my photos, to CD-rw and now I back them up to DVD.

JR
T2
toogood_2b_truenospam
Aug 15, 2006
Hi,
There is a backup facility in PSE3 in the ‘File’ drop down menu and it is pretty staightforward.

Cheers,

M

remove nospam

B
Bob AZ
Aug 19, 2006
David Avera wrote:
My wife has a very large (10,000+ images) PSE catalog on her c: drive with most of the pictures stored in the default location(s) which are pretty deep into the directory structure.> For example, if we bought another hard drive, call it f:, is there a way we
could copy the catalog files and image files to the new drive and have it preserve all the collections?

David.
First. Do backup all the files etc to DVDs. It will take a while but should be done.

Seond. The the new drive you purchase will have instructions for copying your present drive to the new drive. I have done this several times.

Third. Then do a sort or whatever to reserve the files you would like to on the present or the new drive.

Bob AZ

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections