DH
Posted By
Dan Heller
Sep 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have searched the archives, and the topic has been touched upon tangentally, but never directly. so, let’s get right down to it:

I have large files that I want to be able to open between two PCs on a home network using PS. I got a gigabit router and network cards, but that’s just not enough. People have suggested that the bus could be a bottleneck, or that the disk IO could be, or the OS itself. That all may very well be true. But, rather than asking how to solve my existing problem (please don’t do that!), what I really want is a simple description of the minimum hardware requirements necessary to seamlessly open a 50-100M file on either computer, and get at least the same performance as I would if I were to do the same operation on a single computer with a typical IDE 7200rpm local disk.

(The latter disk is not a component in the system; it is merely mentioned as a performance benchmark for acceptability for opening a file over the network. I would assume that local disk operations in the hypothetical configuration would be much faster than the network operation, of course. It’s just that I wanted to establish what the minimum performance requirement was for the networking part of it.)

The ONLY limitation is (and I cringe to high heaven when I say this), it has to be a Windows OS.

For academic reasons, I’m happy to entertain the argument that Mac’s OS X would be a better platform, but you can’t just say that: you have to list the necessary and relevant devices, and the minimum requirement to do so. Don’t make a dream system here.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 8, 2003
the minimum hardware requirements necessary to seamlessly open a 50-100M file on either computer, and get at least the same performance as I would if I were to do the same operation on a single computer with a typical IDE 7200rpm local disk.

Just to clarify Dan, do you mean the min req’s to open the file across the network as you would with a single PC with a typical IDE 7200 rpm drive?

Peace,
Tony
DJ
dennis johnson
Sep 8, 2003
Copy the file to your local machine.

Photoshop does not play well across a network.
PH
Photo Help
Sep 8, 2003
Inexpensively? This is the cheapest way I can think of.

External USB2 hard drive and a KVMP or USB Peripheral Switch. Of course you could only access the drive on one system at a time.

For simultaneous access you will need to copy the file locally first. Which doesn’t really take that much longer anyway.

Note: You would have the same limitations with a MAC running OSX.

We run a windows network and I can open files that size from our server with no problems, but I don’t. It is just safer to work on the file locally. The file will save faster and is much less likely to experience corruption.
BC
bart.cross
Sep 8, 2003
What hardware are you currently using? Let’s see if what you got will suffice. Secondly, what do you expect from this networking proposition. (Surely you can open the files from the other machines.)

Re: "Photoshop does not play well across a network", you can substitute any app for Photoshop in that sentence.
DH
Dan Heller
Sep 8, 2003
Copy the file to your local machine. Period.

Well, that’s true, but PS’s File Browser can work on a number of images in a directory without having to copy them over. Examples include: renaming, moving from directory to directory, doing screenshots of the "browser frame" to be used as an index page for a CD cover (for when I write the tif’s to disk for backup).

Each of these operations don’t require "opening" the files, per se, but it does require examining them one by one to display the thumbnails. I don’t want to have to move the entire directory over just to do that. Currently, it’s just dead slow.

you can substitute any app for Photoshop in that sentence.

You can, but given the above scenario, it turns it into a PS-specific issue. Granted, I agree with the general premise that if you wanted to actually work on the file, you should copy it over.

External USB2 hard drive and a KVMP or USB Peripheral Switch. Of course you could only access the drive on one system at a time.

Now that is an interesting idea for another use: one machines scans slides to a local disk and periodically dump "sets" of images to this USB2 drive. Then, swap the drive over to the other machine, which would use the drive to open the files in PS. the first machine continues to scan and write the images to its local disk.

My current PC setup is a W98 box and an XP box, each with a gigabit ethernet card and a router. (DSL modem connects to the net.) these are 32bit machines.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 8, 2003
Then, swap the drive over to the other machine, which would use the drive to open the files in PS.

Kind of similar to what I posted in #1…
DM
dave milbut
Sep 8, 2003
I’ve told you tony, NObody EVER reads post #1! 🙂
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 8, 2003
<chuckle>
PH
Photo Help
Sep 8, 2003
Tony,

I read post your post #1. But you said "Sneaker-Net" and I upgraded the suggestion to an autoswitching solution. I don’t know about you but I hate unplugging everything from one system and plugging it back in on another and it’s hard on the cables and ports. He said it is only with two computers so a KVMP would auto switch the drive to the active computer. That isn’t always a good thing though if for example you are transferring files on one system and want to work on the other, that is why I also suggested a USB switch as an alternative.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 8, 2003
Photo Help,

Yes, I noted that distinction. It was Dan’s reply – it seemed, and I could be wrong here, that he "bit" on the idea of an external drive, not necessarily the KVMP (which I’ve also looked into). Not a big deal, this is an interesting thread since SneakerNet sux – it’s just faster than most of the other alternatives. I’m talking about tranferring about 2 gigs of information and a network won’t cut it even at giganet speeds.

In truth, the biggest problem with sneakernet for us is not plugging/unplugging, rather, it’s keeping track of what drives contain what information once disconnected from the particular PC. We’ve had to externally label them. So I’m re-thinking something more stationary and will re-visit the KVMP issue.

Peace,
Tony
DH
Dan Heller
Sep 9, 2003
KVMP indeed looks interesting, and it also addresses another issue I’ve been thinking about: having many such disks (externally labeled as to their contents) as method for fast-access archival storage. Having centi-gigabyte drives that can be loaded "as needed" like this, on any system that I happen to be using (even when on the road from my laptop, where I do much of my business), is far superior to lugging around VERY bulky CDs or DVDs of my image archives.

I have about two terrabytes of images so far (growing constantly), and not being able to access them on the road means I can’t fulfill print or license orders till I return home. But, this portable hard drive with fast disk IO through a fast wire makes it easy to carry around about 10 of these disks, access what I need when I need it, do whatever PS operations necessary to prepare an image for a client, and then upload via fast i-net link (usually readily available within a day or so on most trips).

Of course, having CD (moving towards DVD) back-ups for safety’s sake is still the order of the day.

Using external drives like this solve yet another problem by allowing any of my higher-end PCs to swap in and out: one PC scan into one disk, while another is Photoshopping from another disk. Using KVMP seems to tie it all together by allowing a more seamless switch over during those intensive productivity sessions.

The question is: which disks are most durable for potential portability as I’ve described. Or, is that part of my plan still a pipe dream?

Not to go too far afield from my original posting, though: what about the network? Surely, there must be some network connectivity configuration that allows for more fluid sharing of "plus-sized" files.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections