Solution for opening animated gifs in CS3 – quick, easy, and it works.

DZ
Posted By
David_Zeno
Oct 22, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Back in CS2, you could import an animated gif, well, if all you want to do, is import an animated gif in CS3, try this trick I found on 2 blogs last week.

It seems Adobe has forgotten to put a menu pull down option for *.gif , in the "File -> import -> video frames to layers " area.

If you do this manually, by just typing in *.gif, you will now be able to import an animated gif ! ( yes all animation intact ! )

Why you can’t just open an animated gif from the "open" menu is beyond me.

Let’s hope that Adobe fixes this error by adding an option for "*.gif" in this pull down menu.

I posted this in the archives section of the ImageReady subforum, and then realized this was the archive section, and would not been seen by many, so I have posted the workaround here.

Dave.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 23, 2007
Hey, it works! The functionality is still there! Thanks so much for reporting on this!
JJ
John_Joslin
Oct 23, 2007
Excellent!
P
PeterK.
Oct 23, 2007
So the functionality is still actually there, they just forgot to add a menu item? Meanwhile, if you go through Adobe’s official channels, their own knowledgebase articles say that you can’t do it and should BUY Fireworks to deal with animated GIFs.
So what happened here? Did some programmer make a simple goof forgetting to add something to the UI, and Adobe’s tech support didn’t get his message that the functionality actually is there, or was there an actual decision to REMOVE Imageready, and HIDE the functionality (without going through the potential headaches that removing code would bring), to get people to buy an extra piece of software?
I would really like an answer to this question. I know this forum is not the place to get that answer, but where would one go? Who is the big boss that made these decisions?
JJ
John_Joslin
Oct 23, 2007
I doubt it was a decision – just another oversight in QA and a lack of communication between Engineering and Support.

Nothing new there then!
DZ
David_Zeno
Oct 23, 2007
Who knows, as I read elsewhere, it may have been ""accidently"" forgotten. However somebody cleaver figured it out.

It is surprising that such an important issue wasn’t addressed by Adobe directly, and that nowhere on this forum(s) did they give out the "fix" themselves.

The only thing we can hope for, is that Adobe realizes that people want this to be added to the menu pull down, and in reality, you should be able to open an animated gif from the main "open" option in the "File" menu.

Also, talking about animations, we also hope that Adobe decided to put export to .swf into CS3. Exporting to .flv requires more code when embedding into html, swf is so simple, yet it is no longer supported.

If enough people ask, then they will change their minds, and add that back into CS3.

Dave
P
PeterK.
Oct 23, 2007
I doubt it was a decision � just another oversight in QA and a lack of communication between Engineering and Support.

Nothing new there then!

There’s a difference here. An error was made. When somebody comes upon the question "why can’t I import an animated GIF", no doubt the programmers were asked what the answer to that question should be. Whatever their answer was, the response put up by Adobe was "buy more software". Or do you think the programmer who was consulted gave that answer?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections