M
Posted By
MCC
Feb 27, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I make a selection, using either the rectangular or elliptical tools and then try to move it, as per the instruction in the manual – hold down space bar and then click and drag – nothing happens.
Well, actually, the hand appears but it does nothing.
Am I doing something wrong or is this a ‘feature’?

MCC

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AB
Andrew Bealing
Feb 27, 2006
Try using the move tool. The hand tool is just for moving around a screen when the image is too big for it all to fit.
Make a selection wither select the move tool or hold the CTRL key and you can move your selection.

Andrew Bealing

"MCC" wrote in message
When I make a selection, using either the rectangular or elliptical tools and then try to move it, as per the instruction in the manual – hold down space bar and then click and drag – nothing happens.

MCC
M
MCC
Feb 27, 2006
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:09:58 GMT, Andrew Bealing wrote:

Try using the move tool. The hand tool is just for moving around a screen when the image is too big for it all to fit.
Make a selection wither select the move tool or hold the CTRL key and you can move your selection.

Andrew Bealing

"MCC" wrote in message

MCC

Yes, I can do that OK, thank you.
But that moves the whole selection, leaving a big blank area underneath. What I want to do is actually move the "marching ants" *only* to a slightly different position.
It seems I can’t do that after the selection has been made but I can hold the space bar while actually making the selection and move the marching ants that way.

MCC
AB
Andrew Bealing
Feb 27, 2006
OK I understand your issue now. Make your selection and then click on the New Selection option in the selection tool option bar, its a little square. If you then click inside the original selection marching ants the symbol should show a little square alongside the arrow. This means that you can now move the selection border without the contents moving. You can make fine adjustments of single pixel movements by using the arrow keys on your keyboard.

I hope this helps

Andrew

"MCC" wrote in message

Try using the move tool. The hand tool is just for moving around a screen
when the image is too big for it all to fit.

Andrew Bealing

"MCC" wrote in message
When I make a selection, using either the rectangular or elliptical tools
and then try to move it, as per the instruction in the manual – hold down
space bar and then click and drag – nothing happens.

MCC

But that moves the whole selection, leaving a big blank area underneath. What I want to do is actually move the "marching ants" *only* to a slightly
different position.
It seems I can’t do that after the selection has been made but I can hold the space bar while actually making the selection and move the marching ants that way.

MCC
M
MCC
Feb 27, 2006
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 18:16:06 GMT, Andrew Bealing wrote:

OK I understand your issue now. Make your selection and then click on the New Selection option in the selection tool option bar, its a little square. If you then click inside the original selection marching ants the symbol should show a little square alongside the arrow. This means that you can now move the selection border without the contents moving. You can make fine adjustments of single pixel movements by using the arrow keys on your keyboard.

I hope this helps

Andrew

"MCC" wrote in message

Andrew Bealing

"MCC" wrote in message

MCC

But that moves the whole selection, leaving a big blank area underneath. What I want to do is actually move the "marching ants" *only* to a slightly
different position.

MCC

That’s exactly what I want!
Thank you very much.
There may be supplementary questions 🙂

MCC
AB
Andrew Bealing
Feb 28, 2006
You’re welcome. Do come back if you need any more. I’m doing a photoshop evening class so its good to be tested!

Andrew

"MCC" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 18:16:06 GMT, Andrew Bealing wrote:

OK I understand your issue now. Make your selection and then click on the
New Selection option in the selection tool option bar, its a little square.
If you then click inside the original selection marching ants the symbol should show a little square alongside the arrow. This means that you can now move the selection border without the contents moving. You can make fine adjustments of single pixel movements by using the arrow keys on your
keyboard.

I hope this helps

Andrew

"MCC" wrote in message

Make a selection wither select the move tool or hold the CTRL key and you
can move your selection.

Andrew Bealing

"MCC" wrote in message

MCC

different position.
It seems I can’t do that after the selection has been made but I can hold
the space bar while actually making the selection and move the marching ants that way.

MCC

That’s exactly what I want!
Thank you very much.
There may be supplementary questions 🙂

MCC
M
MCC
Feb 28, 2006
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:12:52 GMT, Andrew Bealing wrote:

You’re welcome. Do come back if you need any more. I’m doing a photoshop evening class so its good to be tested!

Andrew

So am I – in fact this is the third one I’ve done but the FE college uses Photoshop 7 and I’ve just bought this Elements 4.
Much of it is similar, just in a different place – I’ll get there in the end.

MCC

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections