Could not initialize photoshop because the file is locked.

JI
Posted By
Joan_in_GA
Oct 18, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been running Photoshop 7.0 on Windows XP for about 4 years without problems. I have uninstalled and re-installed Photoshop at least 3 times. I have been trying for at least 6 hours to resolve my issue. When I launch Photoshop the following message pops up:

Could not initialize Photoshop because the file is locked. Use the properties command in windows explorer to unlock the file.

I have tried to unlock using the above method, but can not find the option of doing so. Have searched the knowledge base but can not find a solution to this problem. I have not added other software to my PC. The only thing that I may have done to possibly cause this problem was that I shut down my PC manually when it was attempting to shut down by the Start> shut down command. Please help!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JJ
John_Joslin
Oct 18, 2007
Have you tried starting Photoshop from another account with admin privileges?

You could also try resetting the preferences as described in the forum FAQ.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ef4a07f/1>
JI
Joan_in_GA
Oct 18, 2007
John . . . you are the best! When I tried to start up after deleting the preferences.psp files (two of them) I got a message regarding twain drivers and then it asked me, "would you like to try again?". I clicked yes and Photoshop opened. For now I am going to take care of business before I risk shutting it down again. THANK YOU!
JJ
John_Joslin
Oct 18, 2007
Glad to hear it!

John in UK 🙂

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections