What is/are the essential differences between Tags and Collections?

DF
Posted By
david.f.jenkins
Dec 13, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

[Got no response first time I asked this, so I’m trying again…]

I understand that I can order photos in Collections. Beyond that, it seems to me that both Tags and Collections are used to categorize photos. Are there subtle differences to the categorization schemes? Not-so-subtle differences?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AH
Andy Hardy
Dec 13, 2005
In message ,
writes
[Got no response first time I asked this, so I’m trying again…]
I understand that I can order photos in Collections. Beyond that, it seems to me that both Tags and Collections are used to categorize photos. Are there subtle differences to the categorization schemes? Not-so-subtle differences?

Tags allow ‘unstructured queries’ e.g. If you select tags ‘Joe’, ‘Sailing’, ‘Europe’ you’ll find images that have those three tags. To achieve the same with a collection you would have had to create a collection for ‘Joe Sailing in Europe’.

A ‘Joe Sailing’ collection would not have to include those images from ‘Joe Sailing in Europe’ (it’s a manual selection) whilst a search on the tags ‘Joe’ and ‘Sailing’ would bring back all of the above images and, possibly, some more.

Andy Hardy. PGP ID: 0xA62A4849
DF
david.f.jenkins
Dec 14, 2005
Ok – thanks, Andy. That helps. I believe Elements 4.0 is a fine product, but it’s not at all intuitive at times – steep learning curve…

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections