What is/are the essential differences between Tags and Collections?

DF
Posted By
david.f.jenkins
Dec 13, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

[Got no response first time I asked this, so I’m trying again…]

I understand that I can order photos in Collections. Beyond that, it seems to me that both Tags and Collections are used to categorize photos. Are there subtle differences to the categorization schemes? Not-so-subtle differences?
AH
Andy Hardy
Dec 13, 2005
In message ,
writes
[Got no response first time I asked this, so I’m trying again…]
I understand that I can order photos in Collections. Beyond that, it seems to me that both Tags and Collections are used to categorize photos. Are there subtle differences to the categorization schemes? Not-so-subtle differences?

Tags allow ‘unstructured queries’ e.g. If you select tags ‘Joe’, ‘Sailing’, ‘Europe’ you’ll find images that have those three tags. To achieve the same with a collection you would have had to create a collection for ‘Joe Sailing in Europe’.

A ‘Joe Sailing’ collection would not have to include those images from ‘Joe Sailing in Europe’ (it’s a manual selection) whilst a search on the tags ‘Joe’ and ‘Sailing’ would bring back all of the above images and, possibly, some more.

Andy Hardy. PGP ID: 0xA62A4849
DF
david.f.jenkins
Dec 14, 2005
Ok – thanks, Andy. That helps. I believe Elements 4.0 is a fine product, but it’s not at all intuitive at times – steep learning curve…

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections