MM
Posted By
Milo_Miller
Oct 16, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have this process where I work on many GUI files, and I’ll open a .psd file .. work on it, and then maybe ctrl+s to save the changes to the psd file.. but then I’ll do ctrl+shift+s so I can then save that same image out flattened to a .png/jpg/gif etc file for GUI testing… Only when I do this I have to manually look for and then change the ‘Format’ to .png …doing this then changes the "filename.psd" into "filename copy.png" which is bloody annoying as then I have to rename that to save over the previous "filename.png" file.

now do this process hundreds of times while working on GUI files and it gets really frustrating working with photoshop… is there no action or plugin that I can use to just quickly save out a file over writing an existing one with the same name… just something to automate this crazy process???

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 17, 2007
Instead of Save As, use Save for Web to create your .png files. This uses a separate process, leaving your file name and save settings unchanged. It also defaults to filename.png, addressing your other issue. Moreover, once you have picked PNG as the type in Save for Web, this will "stick" in place when you use it the next time.
BD
Brett_Dalton
Oct 17, 2007
Alternativly it might be in your case worth looking at using the batch Image processor. Create all the PSD files then do a batch convert at the end either in PS or through bridge.

If many of the files are essentially a background with a different forground pic (buttons/icons etc) then InDesign might also be worth a look in as it can do a "mail merge" type actions where one of the fields is a graphics file.

BRETT
MM
Milo_Miller
Oct 30, 2007
"Instead of Save As, use Save for Web to create your .png files. This uses a separate process, leaving your file name and save settings unchanged. It also defaults to filename.png, addressing your other issue. Moreover, once you have picked PNG as the type in Save for Web, this will "stick" in place when you use it the next time.
"

that was a little faster once you went through the process once to change the file save as location to where the current file you are working on was.. but having to use that method was still a waste of time in that it has to load up an entire new ui that i don’t really need… and quite why the save as dialog doesn’t just start you off in the current files location is stupid.

anyway quite dissapointed in the lack of any decent/faster saving methods for doing this sort of repetive work.. sort it out adobe!
JM
jeffrey_meyer
Oct 30, 2007
Milo, I used to get frustrated with this also. I think if you start unchecking boxes like layers, alpha channels etc first, it will add "copy" into the name.

Try this instead. When your "save as" dialog box comes up, first click the drop down bar to select file format IE:png, jpg etc. It will automatically grey out the unsupported details like layers, alpha etc. without adding "copy".

It seems to work for me on CS2 (This is on my Mac at the office, however might be the same under windows?).
MM
Milo_Miller
Oct 31, 2007
it is frustrating yes, but the reason its adding copy like "filename copy.png" to the end of the filename is because the file i’m working on is the .psd file.. and when I’m doing the [ctrl]+[shift]+[s] to save the update, the updated file is going into the same folder as the .psd, but usually the .png file from a previous save already exists aswel… I do it like that so at least I don’t have to navigate away from the .psd file location and change the directory aswel when I want to resave.. instead I just have to change the file format, and then remove the " copy" from the filename..

its all a bit ridiculous to be frank, and quite how GUI designers or anyone who needs to save out changes constantly to test out.. hasn’t pulled there hair and gotten ADOBE to actually do a better job on the situation is maddning.. obviosuly sensible UI designed speed up workflow in certain areas isn’t one fo their strong points.
JM
jeffrey_meyer
Oct 31, 2007
I certainly agree with your last point. It would be nice to tell these Adobe apps exactly how to behave in our own interests but, then more crap would have to run in the background, hogging resources. None the less the apps are written to default to the core folder where the file originated from. Could you alter your workflow to accommodate this? I always keep my .psd files with the finals. If and when I need to group the finals together I just sort by file type and quickly grab the group of files and copy them off to where they need to be. Sorted by name I can also verify my .psd files match my final files.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 31, 2007
If you are doing the .png/jpg/gif files for web viewing, why not use File > Save for Web? This runs as, in effect, a separate program and has its own "sticky" folder setting for where it saves, and it will default to the name of the image being used, without the extension, plus .png/jpg/gif as appropriate. It will save with or without profile. Also, starting in PS3 it can take care of converting to sRGB without a separate step, if you need conversion.
MM
Milo_Miller
Oct 31, 2007
Michael D… yes you had mentioned that earlier and yes i have tried that method i do use it sometimes now.. but even that is a bloated and long winded method of doing it first time..my earlier reply was to you about this method.

the problem with it is that the ui is bloated for what I want to do…and the way the "Save for Web" save dialog doesn’t actually default to my .psd file i’m working on the first time is annoying. which ever way i do this process via "Save for Web" or "Save As" both methods just aren’t doing a good enough job.. neither one is really providing me with an easier way of doing what I want quickly.. and i’m not going to give features suggestions to Adobe on they could improve it.. they get tons of money for these products they should figure it out a solution themselves.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections