How to prepare a photoshop file for Import into Premiere and retain quality?

NT
Posted By
Naomi_Ture
Oct 15, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The graphics that I import into Premiere from Photoshop come up as very low quality, both in preview window and when exported as DVD and seen on TV screen, and wondering if there is any way to fix this!

I’m using Photoshop CS2 and Premiere Pro 2.0 on Windows XP.

My graphics have a combination of text and images. In Photoshop, my image resolution is 300×1000 pixels at 300 dpi. I brought it into Premiere and resized it to 50% its original pixel size. Because video has a resolution of 720×480 at 72dpi, the image degrades when imported into Premiere.

My entire graphic becomes very pixelated in Premiere, even simple lines. Small font is impossible to see.

Is there any way to prepare an image in Photoshop so that it is the best possible quality it can be in Premiere? Is there a way to increase the pixel information in Premiere?

Thanks in andvance.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JO
Jim_Oblak
Oct 15, 2007
Stop thinking about dpi/ppi. There is no concern for such in video.

Unless you are zooming/scaling in the video itself, design your art at 720×480.
NT
Naomi_Ture
Oct 16, 2007
This answer was unhelpful.

Does anyone have an answer to this question? Why does the graphic become pixelated in Premiere when imported from Photoshop, even at 720×480?
JO
Jim_Oblak
Oct 16, 2007
If you sincerely want help, you could be a little more helpful with your question and the description of your situation. Citing ‘DPI’ indicates that you are in over your head.

Is the 720×480 image clear in Photoshop? If so, this Photoshop forum has little relevance to you; try the Premiere forum.

Is your view in Premiere at 100%?

Are you working in an interlaced video format?

Are you viewing in ‘draft’ quality?

Have you read the Premiere manual?
I
ID._Awe
Oct 16, 2007
Naomi:

The Premiere forum is the place to go.

I can see one problem right off the bat "resized it to 50% its original pixel size".
NT
Naomi_Ture
Oct 16, 2007
Hi, I still don’t have an answer to this problem.

There is actually no problem with "resizing it to 50% its original pixel size". I’ve exported using exact pixel size with no resizing needed and larger and there is no visible difference in quality.

Yes, my 720×480 image is clear in Photoshop. I’m exporting as a psd file to keep uncompressed. I’m looking for answers on both sides – Photoshop and Premiere.

My view in premiere is of course at 100% and at the highest quality. I’ve also tested the quality by previewing on TV monitor and exporting to dvd and previewing.

My video format is standard def, interlaced.

There is no answer to this question in the manual. I’ve also searched the forums and the knowledge base and no topics related other than aspect ration, which is not the concern.

Has anyone else had this issue in the past, and if so, what was your work-around or solution? My fear is that standard video quality doesn’t allow for details in imagery.

Thanks!
JO
Jim_Oblak
Oct 17, 2007
If this PSD file contains live type layers, have you tried rasterizing the type layers before bringing to Premiere?

My fear is that standard video quality doesn’t allow for details in imagery

There really is a limit in a 720×480 canvas. Maybe you might want to export a still from Premiere and one from Photoshop and post them on this forum via a free image hosting service < http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&amp ;q=free+image+hosting+service>. That will allow us to understand the problem.
DB
David_Biddlecombe
Oct 17, 2007
If you are preparing images in Photoshop then all you can do is prepare them at the same resolution and pixel aspect ratio as the format you are going to use in Premiere. It sounds like you are using NTSC so that means 720×480 with a 0.9 pixel aspect ratio. You can set these when you create the original Photoshop file. You say that aspect ratio is not the concern so does that mean that you are setting a 0.9 pixel aspect ratio? Or are you referring to the image aspect ratio?

Other than the obvious restriction of only having 720 x 480 pixels to play with there’s nothing about the video format that inherently means that images and text will be pixelated. You only need to watch TV or a professionally produced DVD to see that it’s perfectly possible to produce crisp graphics within the format.

If you are producing images at the correct pixel dimensions and pixel aspect ratio in Photoshop and the images look fine in Photoshop but look bad in Premiere then it would seem to be most likely an issue with your settings in Premiere so you would need to post on the Premiere forum to get more expert help with this.
BT
Brahm_Taylor
Jan 3, 2008
But save as what format? TIF, JPG, PNG… any standards or suggestions on that front?
CO
Celeste_Orrantia
Jan 4, 2008
I use an older version of Premiere (V6), but I have always used the Targa (TGA) format when saving Photoshop files for use in Premiere. It retains alpha channels when importing into Premiere.
BD
Brett_Dalton
Jan 5, 2008
Format will not fix your problem. simply put fonts under about 8pt will be illegible, this will depend on the font obviously.

Antialias your fonts, apply a deflicker filter in Premier and possibly a 0.3 pixle blur will help with flicker and jaggies but will soften the picture.

you really need to post a copy of the image your trying to use as there are so many variables to consider. general advice might not help.

Also if you are scaling the images then look at designing in illustrator and doing the moves etc in Aftereffects so it will be continually rasterised at the native resolution.

BRETT

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections