Posted By
Donna
Aug 13, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello—-

I have a few black and white pictures that were put in an old aunt’s scrapbook years ago. Some child (I guess) came along and made circles over the picture in ink. Not really heavy circles—the picture still shows through clearly.

Is there a way to break the picture apart with Photoshop Elements and take away that upper layer of scribbles?

Or is there another way of working with this problem that someone can suggest?

Thanks—-

Donna

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

M
mrfss
Aug 13, 2005
I assume you are going to scan the pictures?

There are several ways I use to do this.

If the pen line, as you say, is very thin, try using the clone tool. If the scan is at a high resolution 300 – 400 pixels, you will have a good size picture to work with.

Another option is to use the healing brush tool in Elements 3.0.

It is a slow process but can give very nice results.
"Donna" wrote in message
Hello—-

I have a few black and white pictures that were put in an old aunt’s scrapbook years ago. Some child (I guess) came along and made circles over the picture in ink. Not really heavy circles—the picture still shows through clearly.

Is there a way to break the picture apart with Photoshop Elements and take away that upper layer of scribbles?

Thanks—-

Donna
D
Donna
Aug 13, 2005
Thanks for the reply. In using the clone tool, is there a way to make the cloned imprints less "flat" and more subtle? Is fiddling with opacity the only way to do this?

Thanks— Donna

"mrfss" wrote in message

If the pen line, as you say, is very thin, try using the clone tool. If the scan is at a high resolution 300 – 400 pixels, you will have a good size picture to work with.

"Donna" wrote in message
Hello—-

Thanks—-

Donna

D
Donna
Aug 13, 2005
Also— When I use the clone tool, I am sometimes ending up with this circle-stamped looking area. What can I do to avoid this?

Thanks again–

Donna

"mrfss" wrote in message

"Donna" wrote in message
Hello—-

Thanks—-

Donna

JM
Joseph Meehan
Aug 13, 2005
Donna wrote:
Also— When I use the clone tool, I am sometimes ending up with this circle-stamped looking area. What can I do to avoid this?
Thanks again–

Donna

In version 3.0 (I can’t remember about 2.0) there are options to set the size, mode (couple dozen choices) and Opacity 0-100%

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
JW
jean walker
Nov 9, 2005
make sure that you are using a soft brush – enlarge the image to at least 100% if not greater – use the smallest possible brush – keep the source as close as possible to the destination to keep colours constant slow process but quite do-able
jw
"Donna" wrote in message
Thanks again–

Donna

"mrfss" wrote in message

"Donna" wrote in message
Hello—-

Thanks—-

Donna

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections