SR
Posted By
S_Richard_Young
Jun 10, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can select, copy and paste one time only.
On the second copy with another selected area I get message nothing selected.

I know this has to do with the levels but am unaware how to resolve the problem so as to be able to do multiple copy and pastes within the same session and on the same picture. Could you give outline of steps to accomplish?

It is obvious I need some help in learning to use the product but have found the help files less than helpful. I am not a novice to PC software but this is my first exposure to picture minipulation Any instruction books you could suggest would also be a help.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BB
brent bertram
Jun 10, 2005
It sounds like you have the levels layer, or some other adjustment layer active, instead of the background/background copy layer. If you have the background as the active layer, you shouldn’t have any problem copying and pasting. You’ll have to "re-select" the background layer after each paste, since pasting creates a new layer, and makes that new layer active. Turn on your layers pallette with View > Layers and you’ll see what’s going on .
Here’s a useful link for you , <http://www.arraich.com/elements/psE_intro.htm> . Keep coming back here, though, we get paid by the question . ( That’s a joke ! <G> )

🙂

Brent
R
RobertHJones
Jun 10, 2005
To supplement Brent’s answer:

Photoshop Elements works with image layers. Every photo has at least one layer (called the background layer, you’ll see it if you open the layers palette). While some tools can work with pixels from multiple layers at once (the clone tool is one), most things that work on layers only work on a single layer at a time (which is called the active layer). By default, the background layer is the active layer.

When you do your first paste, a new layer is automatically created and the copy is placed in that layer. That new layer then becomes the active layer.

When you do your second selection, your active layer is the new layer so your second selection won’t contain any pixels unless it overlaps the area you previously copied. The rest of your pixels are in the other layer. That’s why you’re getting that message.

To make your second copy, open the layers palette (Window>Layers NOT View>layers) and click once on the layer containing the pixels you want to copy (which will probably be the "background" layer since you aren’t used to creating and working with layers). That will make it the active layer. Now you can copy them — make your selection and copy/paste. As Brent points out, you’ll need to reselect the active layer for each copy/paste.

Brent’s recommendation for Jay Arraich’s site is great. There is a lot of good basic instruction available. Highly recommended.

Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections