RM
Posted By
Rodger_Meyer
Jun 10, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For the past several months, Microsoft engineers and I have been tracing the reason why Windows Explorer (with XP Home) crashes when attempting to us a folder with MP3 music files. Through a process of elimination, we have traced the problem to the Photoshop Icon Handler. The problem disappears when the Photoshop Icon Handler extension is disabled.
Photoshop Icon Handler No Icon Handler Icons for Adobe Photoshop 6.0 Adobe Photoshop Adobe Systems, Incorporated No No No C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Shell\PSICON.DLL {0B6DC6EE-C4FD-11d1-819A-00C04FB69B4D} 4/22/2005 10:24:01 AM 4/22/2005 10:27:38 AM No .bmp, .gif, .jpe, .jpeg, .jpg, .psd, .rle
When I start Photoshop Elements, the Icon handler is re-enabled, and the next time I go to a folder that contains MP3 files, Windows Explorer crashes.
Is there an update that will correct this problem. Help About does not indicate the version level of my copy of Photoshop Elements.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 10, 2005
Hmmm. First, I don’t remember hearing about this problem before. Second, there are two clues that make me think you’re running PSE 1.0. You give a reference to PS 6.0, and that’s what PSE 1.0 was based on, and you also say that Help About doesn’t give a version number. Adobe didn’t start numbering them until PSE 2.0.

When you open it, what appears on the splash screen? Some kind of graphic that includes a big eye? If so, that’s the first version. A sunflower denotes version 2, and a framed picture of a women is what they used for version 3.

I don’t think there ever were any updates to version 1, none to version 2, and the only update (so far) to version 3 was for the Organizer portion, and it corrected a problem with European date formats, I think – the Mac version doesn’t have Organizer, so it wasn’t relevant to me.
RM
Rodger_Meyer
Jun 10, 2005
OK,
So I Evidently have PSE version 1, which does not surprise me. What do I do to get the latest version which may resolve the problem? Is this a free upgrade, or a purchase?
Thanks
Rodger
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 10, 2005
Have you tried simply uninstalling and reinstalling PSE?

Have you done a prefs reset? [Hold down CTRL/ALT/SHIFT immediately on starting the program.]

Try these first.
RM
Rodger_Meyer
Jun 10, 2005
Hi Colin,
Since I just reinstalled Photoshop Elements after a "destructive restore" that is "clean the disk and start over," I doubt if reinstalling would change anything. Thats why I am exploring the advantages of upgrading to the latest version.

It does not make sense to me that the Icon Handler would have anything to do with Windows Explorer and music folders, but disabling the extension solved the problem. Since the extension has to be turned off after each use of Photoshop Elements, that is a workaround that I would like to resolve with a permanent fix.

Unfortunately, with a computer, there are so many other variables that it is difficult to identify the source of the problem. In this mix are the programs that come loaded with an HP computer – I don’t know what has to be there and what is optional. I am able to consistently reproduce the problem on this computer – but cannot reproduce it on another with identical files (transferred via briefcase) and programs. Adding to the puzzle are migrating music files. Music files that have been renamed and moved to different folders, spontaneously return to their original name and folder. I have watched it happen (files have disappeared as I watched the screen), and have screen shots of the folder contents before and after the spontaneous migration. This has not happened since I disabled the PS Icon Handler.

It is beyond anything I can imagine. The Microsoft tech support was stumped until one advised disabling all non Microsoft extensions, and then restoring them one at at time and testing for the problem.

Anyway, perhaps this will help someone recognize the source of the problem and help with a permanent fix.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 10, 2005
With a strong emphasis on the word "may" in regard to whether or not a newer version would even resolve this problem, you’d have to purchase a new version of Elements – PSE 3.0 being the newest. Each version is a standalone program, so it’s not like a more common upgrade path, where you get a substantial price reduction but have to own a prior version. Amazon usually has the best deal, unless you’re close to a Fry’s. I hear they sometimes sell it for $25, with a $25 rebate.

Given the problem exists on just one computer and tracking it down was so tricky in the first place, the chances Adobe will work on this are less than slim to none, most especially since not even you can reproduce it.

Subsequent versions of Elements were based on the then most current version of full Photoshop. PSE 2.0 runs on the PS 7.0 engine, and PSE 3.0 runs on the PS CS engine. Each "jump" was pretty substantial in terms of technology, so my guess is that totally wiping PSE 1.0 from your system and replacing it with the newest version would probably solve this.
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 10, 2005
I am not at all sure that I know what the PS icon handler is.

I do know that earlier versions of full PS [at least] had a facility to make icons of image files get replaced by tiny thumbnails. Daft idea IMHO. This caused all kinds of problems for certain people and was dropped when PS CS was released. Maybe this is the same thing. I am sure that there was a way of fixing it for PS 7 and before …

I did a little digging over on the main PS forum. Seems it’s all to do with the psicon.dll file. Why not find this and rename/delete it. See if that helps.
RM
Rodger_Meyer
Jun 10, 2005
Colin and Beth,
thanks for your help.
Colin, I disabled psicon.dll, and enabled the Icon handler extension,and the problem has not manifested itself under the conditions that have previously crashed WE.

It looks like we have tracked down the problem. Still wonder why and how?

thanks again. this has been a problem for over 9 months.

Rodger

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections